Showing 66 results

Archival description
Gwysaney manuscripts
Print preview View:

3 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Brut Chronicle

A fifteenth-century manuscript of the Brut in English with continuation to 1450, written probably in the 1460s or 1470s in the West Midlands of England (indicated by the dialect) or possibly in Wales.
The text is the English translation of the Brut to 1333 followed by the usual continuation to 1377. The continuation for 1377-1450 (at which point the text ends abruptly) is, except for the years 1415-19, that of the unusual text printed by J. S. Davies in 1856, known as Davies's Chronicle. A quire and a half are wanting at the end of the manuscript; originally no doubt the text continued to 1461, as does Davies's Chronicle. The Brut with its continuation was printed by Caxton in 1480, and then frequently until 1530. Among additions to Brie's text of the Brut are the epitaphs of the Welsh and the English clerk on Llywelyn ap Gruffydd. On a blank page is a Latin epitaph for Mathew Goch, previously only known in a shorter form from a single manuscript (f. 181 verso). The manuscript is on paper, written by three or more hands, and as pastedowns and flyleaf has three leaves of a fine English noted missal of the twelfth century.

Bryan Cooke of Owston letter book

A letter book containing copies of letters, 14 April 1806-19 April 1820, sent by Bryan Cooke of Owston, Yorkshire, to W. WIlliams, Careglwyd, Mold, and other correspondents, concerning his estates in Wales.

Cooke, Bryan, 1756-1821

Catalogue of books at Owston Hall

A catalogue of the books in the library of Owston Hall, Yorkshire, made 2 March 1752.
On pp. 1-7 and 80 are notes on 'Elementary and Practicall Geometry and Arithmetick' and on pp. 76-77 there are tables of coin weights and measures, beer-, ale- and wine-measures, measures of length, time, etc.

Catalogue of books, etc., in the Llannerch Library

A catalogue of the books, pamphlets, manuscripts and writings of John Davies of Llannerch, Denbighshire, taken 1778. The books are catalogued according to size. The occasion for the compilation of this catalogue was a lease for fifteen years of Llannerch Hall granted by John Davies to the Rev. William Davies Shipley, dean of St Asaph. Also preserved within this volume are four leaves containing a catalogue of the manuscripts in the Llannerch Library, taken in 1740.

Epistolau bugeiliol St Paul.

An autograph translation into Welsh, [1567x1581], by Richard Davies, Bishop of St. Davids, of the Pastoral Epistles of St. Paul to Timothy, Titus and Philemon (ff. 2-11); this is apparently a new translation of these Epistles by Davies, following the publication of Salesbury's 1567 New Testament (see Glanmor Williams, Bywyd ac Amserau'r Esgob Richard Davies (Cardiff, 1953), pp. 108-109).
Also included is a bond, on parchment, dated 2 April [1565], signed by William Salesbury, incurred for the purpose of publishing the first Welsh editions of the Book of Common Prayer and New Testament (f. ii verso; Latin and English); a draft petition, [1546x1563], urging the translation of the New Testament into Welsh (ff. 1-1a; English); and a note by D. R. Thomas on the contents of the manuscript, 1891 (f. 13; English). For a transcript of the translation see D. R. Thomas, The Life and Work of Bishop Davies & William Salesbury… (Oswestry, 1902), pp. 148-175.

Davies, Richard, 1501-1581.

Grant of land by Queen Mary and Philip of Spain

Letters patent, dated at Westminster, 11 February, 1 & 2 Philip and Mary [1554/5], issued by Mary I, Queen of England and Ireland, and Philip II of Spain, as King of England and Ireland, granting lands in Broughton [?Bychton], Marton [Mertyn] and Tredesmowen [?Trefednywain], [all in the parish of Whitford], in the commote of Coleshill, Flintshire, to John Davye [Davies, of Gwysaney].
The document is decorated with a fine initial double-portrait of the monarchs enthroned, in ink and wash within the initial letter 'P' of interlacing strapwork, and bears the secretarial signatures of both. Large strapwork initial letters appear in the first line, and the margins are illuminated with heraldic emblems in gold and colours. The great seal of Mary I is appended, attached by the original green and white plaited laces.

Results 1 to 20 of 66