Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Plas Nantglyn was built in 1573. The estate descended in the male line of the Wynne family until 1743 when, on the death of Thomas Meredith Wynne, it passed to his aunt and co-heiress, Mary Wynne. Her daughter, Margaret Parry married Edward Cadwaladr (b. 1687), and it was with their sons that the surname Edwards became associated with Plas Nantglyn. On the death of their eldest son, Hugh Edwards (1721-c. 1787) without issue, the estate passed to his brother, Evan Edwards (1726-1796).
Evan's heir was his only son, the Rev. Thomas Wynne Edwards (1796-1877), vicar of Rhuddlan, Flintshire, from 1828 until his death. He married Eliza Gardner Williams (1797-1884), daughter of John Copner Williams, a Denbigh solicitor. He was succeeded by his eldest son, John Copner Wynne Edwards (1821-1886), a solicitor in Denbigh, who married Maria, daughter of Wood Gibson of Hope, Lancashire. J.C. Wynne Edwards was succeeded by his eldest son, Thomas Alured Wynne-Edwards (1855-1925), an engineer by profession. He served-with the rank of Colonel- the 4th Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers 1908-1913, being appointed its Honorary Colonel in 1919. His son and heir was Lieutenant Colonel John Copner Wynne-Edwards (1890-1967).