NLW MS 13068B.
- [1600x1826] / (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
86 ff. Repaired and rebound in half vellum, with a ? previous, upper cover bound in at the end.
Name of creator
The now incomplete inscription in Edward Williams ('Iolo Morganwg')'s hand on the previous cover probably read 'R[hodd] Edward Lewis, Yswain, [o Ben] Llin ym Morganwg', indicating that the volume had been given to Williams as a gift by Edward Lewis of [the parish of] Pen- llin, co. Glamorgan (see IMCY, tt. 152, 172, 195). The names of Euan William, Thomas Morgans, William John Lewis, William Williams, Ev[an] Jone[s], Mary Nicholas, John Lewis, Hopkin Williams, Ben Johnson, gent., ? Thomas Jenkin, and William Jones appear as marginalia, as also does the cryptic sentence 'Sum unus ex libris ? Gwalterii Watkins de llanddew in co [ ] Brecon teneri et firmiter obligari Howello Thomas de [ ]'.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
An imperfect manuscript consisting mainly of a collection of Welsh poems in strict and free metres including poems by, or attributed to, Siôn Kent, Iolo Goch, Ieuan ap Rydderch ap Ieuan Llwyd, Iorwerth Vynglwyd, Taliessyn Benbeirdd, Twm ap Ifan ap Rhys, Tomas Lewys, Giles ap Siôn (one 'englyn' and ten 'cywyddau' numbered i-iii, v-xi), Mredydd ap Rosser, ? Hopkin Twm Ph'e, Davydd Benwyn, Thomas Brwynllys, William Dyvi, Siôn Mawddwy, Tomas Llywelyn Dyio Pwell 'or ygos ym Morgannwg', Davidd y Vann, Hwel D'd ap Ievan ap Rees, Ieyvan Daylwyn, Iefan ap Howel Swrdwal, Lewis Morgannwg, Meirig Dafydd, Sir Tho. Jones, Llywelyn ap Hwel ab Bifan, Dafydd ap Gwilim, Rys Nawmorr, Hvw Dwnn, and Ivan Dyfi. Included also are a copy of an English poem by Howel Swrdwal, a copy of a letter in Welsh from Ll[ywely]n Siôn [of Llangewydd, parish of Laleston, co. Glamorgan] to Wiliam Prys [of Briton Ferry], 27 July 1596 (see TLLM, t. 79; and L. J. Hopkin James and T. C. Evans: Hen Gwndidau . . . (Bangor, 1910), p. 278), and a prose item with the superscription 'Llyma friddwyd Gronw ddy ap Einon ab Add'. The volume is in several hands but the greater part is in the hand of one scribe possibly the Glamorgan poet Giles or Sils ap Siôn whose 'cywyddau' feature in the text (see TLLM, tt. 76, 87-92; and IMCY, t. 121). Ff. 18 recto-21 recto, excepting an 'englyn' and marginalia inserted later, are probably in the hand of the aforementioned Llywelyn Siôn [of Llangewydd]. The poems by Thomas Lewis (ff. 28 recto-verso, 82 verso), one of which is dated 1623, are possibly in the poet's own hand (see TLLM, tt. 87, 95). In the same hand, and possibly by the same poet, are the poems on ff- 56 recto, 58 verso, 79 recto, 92 recto. There is an inscription on the volume's previous cover (see note on binding) in the hand of Edward Williams ('Iolo Morganwg') (see note below).
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Welsh, English, Latin.
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
The description is also available in the Handlist of Manuscripts in the National Library of Wales, Volume IV (Aberystwyth, 1971).
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
For the letter from Llywelyn Siôn to Wiliam Prys see L. J. Hopkin James and T. C. Evans: Hen Gwndidau . . . (Bangor, 1910), p. 278
Title based on contents.
Formerly known as Llanover B. 6.
Preferred citation: NLW MS 13068B.
Virtua system control number
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Sils ap Siôn, Llywelyn Siôn, Thomas Lewis, 'Iolo Morganwg', and others. (Creator)
- Gronw Ddu ab Einion ab Adda (Subject)
- Siôn Cent, approximately 1367-approximately 1430 (Subject)
- Iolo, Goch, active 1345-1397 (Subject)
- Ieuan ap Rhydderch, fl. 1430-1470 (Subject)
- Iorwerth Fynglwyd, fl. 1485-1527 (Subject)
- Taliesin (Subject)
- Tomas ab Ieuan ap Rhys, ca. 1510-ca. 1560 (Subject)
- Lewys, Tomas (Subject)
- Sils ap Sion, fl. 1570-1590 (Subject)
- Maredudd ap Rhoser, fl. ca. 1530 (Subject)
- Wiliam Dyfi (Subject)
- Dafydd Benwyn, 16th cent. (Subject)
- Thomas Brwynllys, fl. 1580-1590 (Subject)
- Siôn Mawddwy, approximately 1575-1613 (Subject)
- Powell, Tomas Llywelyn Deio (Subject)
- Dafydd y Fan (Subject)
- Hywel Dafydd ab Ieuan ap Rhys (Subject)
- Ieuan Deulwyn, fl. 1460 (Subject)
- Ieuan ap Hywel Swrdwal, d. ca. 1485 (Subject)
- Lewys Morgannwg, active approximately 1523-1555 (Subject)
- Dafydd, Meurig, 1514-1595 (Subject)
- Jones, Thomas, Sir, poet (Subject)
- Llywelyn ap Hywel ap Ieuan ap Gronw, fl. ca. 1480? (Subject)
- Dafydd ap Gwilym, active 14th century (Subject)
- Rhys Nanmor, fl. 1480-1513 (Subject)
- Huw Dwnn (Subject)
- Ieuan Dyfi, active 1482-1500 (Subject)
- Hywel Swrdwal, fl. 1430-1475 (Subject)
- Llywelyn Sion, 1540-1615? (Subject)
- Prys, Wiliam, Briton Ferry (Subject)
- Lewis, Thomas, fl. 1623 (Subject)
- Iolo Morganwg, 1747-1826 (Subject)
Description control area
Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru = The National Library of Wales