GB 0210 BRA
British Records Association Collection,
- 1362-1925 / (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
3.045 cubic metres (110 boxes, 3 rolls)
Name of creator
The British Records Association, formed in 1932, succeeded the British Record Society in its role in preserving and sorting documents and distributing them to the appropriate repositories. The main aim and objective is to encourage and assist with the preservation, care, use and publication of historical records.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Deposited by the British Records Association between 1933 and 1977.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Records relating to properties in Wales, mostly from London solicitors' offices, including court rolls and other records of the following manors of the Earl of Ashburnham: Brecknock-Alltmarcham, 1644-1826, Cantercelly, 1658-1810, Killonow, 1644-1826, Cwmdu, 1659-1839, Talgarth Borough, 1631-1826, and Wernfawr, 1644-1826; deeds and documents relating to the Earl of Ashburnham's estates in Breconshire and in Pembrey, Carmarthenshire, -; the estates of the Griffith family of Cefnamwlch, Caenarfonshire, 1707-1842; a portion of the Glanusk estate, 1771-1918, in the counties of Brecon and Radnor owned by the Bailey family of Nant-y-glo; the Glandyfi estate, Cardiganshire, - including probates of the family of Jeffreys of Shrewsbury and Glandyfi Castle; the Slwch, Breconshire, and Bow, Middlesex, estates of the barons Tredegar, 1757-1913; the families of Tickell of Whitechapel and Cheltenham and Jones of Gwynfryn, Cardiganshire, 1769-1855, relating mainly to properties in Llangollen and Ruabon, Denbighshire, Llanbadarn Fawr and Llangynfelyn, Cardiganshire, and in cos. Middlesex, Surrey, Kent and Cambridge; papers relating to the development of Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire, 1790-1921; records relating to the affairs of the Milford Haven Dock & Railway Company, the Milford Dock Company, the Milford Haven Railway & Estate Company Ltd, and the National Provident Institution, London, in its connection with the Milford estate; records of the manor of Nethergorther, Montgomeryshire, 1750-1781; papers relating to the Holyhead Shipbuilding & Trading Company Ltd, 1867-1875; together with a large number of miscellaneous deeds and documents relating mainly to properties in all the Welsh counties and in Shropshire and Herefordshire, 1362-1925.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
Action: All records deposited at the National Library of Wales have been retained..
Accruals are possible.
System of arrangement
Arranged by year of deposit, and by the BRA parcel number given to each deposit.
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Readers consulting modern papers in the National Library of Wales are required to sign the 'Modern papers - data protection' form.
Conditions governing reproduction
Usual copyright regulations apply.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Hard copies of the catalogues (arranged by year of deposit) are available at the National Library of Wales. Further details of the manorial records can be found online on the Manorial Documents Register, http://www.mdr.nationalarchives.gov.uk/mdr/.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Title supplied from depositor of fonds.
Virtua system control number
Place access points
Name access points
- British Records Association. (Creator)
- Milford Dock Company -- Records and correspondence (Subject)
- Milford Haven Dock and Railway Company -- Records and correspondence (Subject)
- Glanusk Estate (Powys, Wales) -- Records and correspondence (Subject)
- Ashburnham Estate (Wales) -- Records and correspondence (Subject)
- Glandyfi Estate (Wales) -- Records and correspondence (Subject)
- Milford Haven Railway and Estate Company Limited -- Records and correspondence (Subject)
- Cefnamwlch Estate (Wales) -- Archives (Subject)
- Gwynfryn Estate (Cardiganshire, Wales) -- Archives. (Subject)
- Milford Docks Company. (Subject)
- Glanusk Estate (Wales) (Subject)
- Holyhead Shipbuilding and Trading Company. (Subject)
- Milford Haven Dock and Railway Company. (Subject)
- Cefnamwlch Estate (Wales) (Subject)
- Tredegar Estate (Wales) (Subject)
- Gwynfryn Estate (Cardiganshire, Wales) (Subject)
- Milford Railway and Estate Company. (Subject)
- Ashburnham Estate (Wales) (Subject)
- Ruperra Castle Estate (Wales) (Subject)
- Vaughan family, Earls of Ashburnham -- Archives (Subject)
- Bailey family, of Nantyglo -- Archives (Subject)
- Griffith family, of Cefnamwlch -- Archives (Subject)
- Morgan family, Barons Tredegar -- Archives (Subject)
- Tickell family, of Whitechapel and Cheltenham -- Archives (Subject)
- Jeffreys family, of Shrewsbury and Glandyfi Castle -- Archives (Subject)
- Jones family, of Gwynfryn, Cardiganshire -- Archives. (Subject)
- Bailey family, of Nant-y-glo (Subject)
- Griffith family, of Cefnamwlch (Subject)
- Vaughan family, Earls of Ashburnham. (Subject)
- Jeffreys family, of Shrewsbury and Glandyfi Castle (Subject)
- Morgan family, Barons Tredegar. (Subject)
- Jones family, of Gwynfryn (Subject)
- Tickell family, of Whitechapel and Cheltenham (Subject)
Genre access points
Description control area
Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru = The National Library of Wales
Rules and/or conventions used
Description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) 2nd ed.;AACR2; and LCSH
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Compiled by Seri Crawley for the ANW Project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description : NLW Schedules of British Records Association (1933-1978); WWW British Records Association website (www.hmc.gov.uk/bra), viewed 8 February 2006; WWW British Records Society website, viewed 8 February 2006; Guide to the Department of Manuscripts and Records. The National Library of Wales (Aberystwyth, 1994)