Church in Wales. Diocese of St. Davids

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Church in Wales. Diocese of St. Davids

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

The Church in Wales came formally into being in 1920 when the disestablishment of the Church of England within Wales took effect. St Davids was one of the four original dioceses in Wales, along with Bangor, St Asaph and Llandaff, and broadly comprised the counties of Cardiganshire, Carmarthenshire, Pembrokeshire, Radnorshire, and Breconshire, along with Swansea and the Gower. An Order in Council dated 30 July 1849 transferred the two Montgomeryshire parishes of Ceri and Mochdre from the diocese of St Davids to the diocese of St Asaph. Eight parishes were transferred to the diocese of Hereford by Order in Council dated 15 May 1852, namely Clodock, Craswall, Dulas, Ewyas Harold, Llanveynoe, Longtown, Rowlstone, and St Margaret. In 1923 the new diocese of Swansea and Brecon was created out of the existing diocese, consisting of Radnorshire, Breconshire, Swansea and the Gower.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

lcnaf

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC