- 1780-1853 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
138 items ; 373 x 275 mm.
Full maroon morocco with brass clasp and lock.
The following note is inside the front cover: 'This collection of autographs was bequeathed to me 1849, by Emma Elizabeth Puleston, Relict of Sir Rich'd Puleston, Bart, of Emral, Wm W E Wynne'.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
An album containing correspondence mainly addressed to Sir Richard Puleston, bart, and his wife, Lady Emma Puleston. The correspondents are the duke of Clarence (Nos 1-4), Sir Benjamin Bloomfield and Colonel McMahon, both in attendance on the Prince Regent (Nos 5-28), Edmund Currey, aide de camp to the duke of Gloucester (Nos 29-31), the dukes of Beaufort (No. 32), Dorset (No. 33), Cleveland (Nos 34-5), and Buccleugh (No. 36), the duchess of Buccleugh (No. 37), the dowager duchess of Rutland (Nos 38-41, 44-5), Lord Forester (No. 42), Lady Katherine Forester (No. 43), the duke and duchess of Argyll (Nos 44-50), Elizabeth, marchioness of Westminster (Nos 51-9), Lady Elizabeth Belgrave (Nos 60-3), the dowager countess of Warwick (Nos 64-5), the countess of Clonmel (No. 66), the countess of Uxbridge (Nos 67, 69-71), Sophia Paget (No. 68), J. Sanderson, Plasnewydd (No. 72), the earl of Kilmorey (No. 73), Lady Georgina Needham (Nos 74-5), Lord Mulgrave (No. 76), J. Lloyd, Portsmouth (No. 77), Lord Adam Gordon, commander-in-chief of the forces in Ireland (No. 78), Viscount and Viscountess Dungannon (Nos 79-92, 94-5, 97-105), the Honourable Charles Trevor (Nos 93, 96), Lord Berwick (Nos 106-8), General the Lord Viscount Hill (No. 109-12), Lord Kenyon (No. 113), Lady Eleanor Butler and Miss Sarah Ponsonby, Llangollen (Nos 114-19), Viscount Fielding (Nos 120-1), the Honourable Mrs West (Nos 122-3), Sir Robert Leighton, bart (No. 124), Lady Bromley (No. 125), Sir Robert Peel, bart (No. 126), Sir John Kynsaton Powel, bart (No. 127), Sir George Nayler, York Herald (Nos 128-9), Sir Herbert Taylor (No. 130), Mrs Isabella Pigot (Nos 131-4), W. A. Madocks of Tremadog (No. 135), T. J. Pettigrew (No. 136), and Messrs Willoughby and Eustace, Piccadilly (No. 137); together with a printed pedigree of the descendants of Sir Robert Maude, bart (No. 138).
A letter from Sir Joseph Banks, dated 22 November 1814, has been removed from the volume (between items 130 and 131): this was sold separately (lot 312) at Sotheby's, 23-4 March 1981, but was not purchased by NLW.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Access to the original manuscript by authorised permission only. Readers are directed to use surrogate copies.
Conditions governing reproduction
Usual copyright laws apply.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
The description is also available in Graham C. G. Thomas, Peniarth MSS: Additional (Aberystwyth, 1990), 4.
Generated finding aid
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Available on microfilm at the Library.
Related units of description
Formerly Ancient Peniarth MS 49.
Preferred citation: Peniarth MS 483 [RESTRICTED ACCESS].
Virtua system control number
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Messrs Willoughby & Eustace (Subject)
- Puleston, Richard, Sir, fl. 1833 -- Correspondence (Subject)
- Puleston, Emma, Lady -- Correspondence (Subject)
- Banks, Joseph, Sir, 1743-1820 (Subject)
- Moule, Robert, Sir -- Family (Subject)
- Puleston, Richard, Emral (Subject)
- Puleston, Emma, Lady (Subject)
- William IV, King of Great Britain, 1765-1837. (Subject)
- Bloomfield, Benjamin, Sir, 1768-1846 (Subject)
- McMahon, Colonel (Subject)
- Currey, Edmund, 1787-1861 (Subject)
- Dorset, John Frederick Sackville, Duke of, 1745-1799. (Subject)
- Forester, Cecil Weld- , Baron, 1767-1828 (Subject)
- Forester, Katherine Weld- , Lady, d. 1829 (Subject)
- Elizabeth, Marchioness of Westminster (Subject)
- Belgrave, Elizabeth, Lady (Subject)
- Paget, Sophia (Subject)
- Needham, Georgina, Lady (Subject)
- Mulgrave, Henry Phipps, Earl of, 1755-1831 (Subject)
- Gordon, Adam, Lord, ca. 1726-1801 (Subject)
- Butler, Eleanor, Lady, 1739-1829 (Subject)
- Ponsonby, Sarah, 1755-1831 (Subject)
- Leighton, Robert, Sir, 1752-1819 (Subject)
- Powell, John Kynaston, Sir, 1753-1822. (Subject)
- Nayler, George, Sir, ?1764-1831 (Subject)
- Taylor, Herbert, Sir, 1775-1839. (Subject)
- Pigot, Isabella (Subject)
- Madocks, William Alexander, 1773-1828 (Subject)
- Pettigrew, Thomas Joseph, 1791-1865 (Subject)
- Peel, Robert, 1788-1850 (Subject)