GB 0210 HAVWILL
Haverfordwest (Williams & Williams)
- [1750-1800] / (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
8.017 cubic metres (282 boxes and 1 roll).
Name of creator
Williams & Williams was a firm of solicitors based in Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, in the early 20th century. The collection derives from the solicitors' offices.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Williams & Williams, solicitors; Haverfordwest; Donation; c. 1920
Content and structure area
Scope and content
The collection comprises records from the office of Williams & Williams, Haverfordwest, solicitors, largely deeds and draft deeds, mostly 19th century, and many relating to the Haverfordwest area of Pembrokeshire. In the course of their work, Williams & Williams accumulated legal and other papers relating to their clients interests, including the estates of Ambleston, Begelly, Brawdy, Camrose, Court House, Cwmgloyne, Hean Castle, Hodgeston, Hook, Manorbier, Manorowen, Orielton, Pigeonsford, Somerton, Treffgarne, Ty Gwynne, Walwyns Castle, Welsh Hook, Wilsons, Wolfsdale and Yelverton. There are also documents relating to the Fishguard Harbour Improvement Company, several railway companies and a large number of probate records and marriage settlements. There are also groups of deeds and documents relating mainly to properties in Carmarthenshire, Glamorganshire and Pembrokeshire. There are also documents relating to church properties, nonconformist chapels, poor rate papers, articles of apprenticeship and articles of partnership.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
Action: All records have been retained..
Accruals are not expected.
System of arrangement
The deeds are arranged alphabetically by parish, and then there are groups of documents relating to Pembrokeshire church tithes and properties; Pembrokeshire Baptist chapel deeds; Breconshire Baptists; Monmouthshire Baptists; Pembrokeshire Calvinistic Methodists; Merionethsire Calvinistic Methodists; Pembrokeshire Congregationalists; Pembrokeshire Wesleyans; Marriage settlements arranged in alphabetical order; deeds relating to railways arranged by the names of the individual railway company; lawsuits and other papers; bonds for money and other obligations; miscellaneous papers; poor rate papers; articles of apprenticeship; articles of partnership and dissolution of partnership; additional deeds; deeds relating to properties in English counties; probate documents arranged alphabetically by the names of the testators; deeds relating to Pembrokeshire; deeds relating to Breconshire and Cardiganshire; deeds relating to Carmarthenshire. Second instalment: Pembrokeshire deeds arranged by alphabetical order of parishes; Breconshire deeds; Cardiganshire deeds; Carmarthenshire deeds; Carnarvonshire deeds; Glamorganshire deeds; Monmouthshire deeds; additional deeds: Orielton estate, Pigeonsford, Wilson's estate; marriage settlements arranged alphabetically; chapel deeds; railway deeds and papers; lawsuit papers; miscellaneous deeds and papers; register of ships etc.; additional miscellaneous papers; additional papers received from Mr Francis Green.
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Readers consulting modern papers in the National Library of Wales are required to abide by the conditions noted on the 'Modern papers - data protection' form issued with their Readers' Tickets.
Conditions governing reproduction
Usual copyright regulations apply.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Schedules [c. 1920], 928pp., in manuscript, in three outsize volumes in the south reading room.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Virtua system control number
Subject access points
- Apprenticeship programs -- Wales -- Pembrokeshire.
- Baptists -- Wales -- Powys.
- Baptists -- Wales -- Monmouthshire.
- Baptists -- Wales -- Pembrokeshire.
- Calvinistic Methodists -- Wales -- Gwynedd.
- Calvinistic Methodists -- Wales -- Pembrokeshire
- Methodism -- Wales -- Gwynedd
- Methodism -- Wales -- Pembrokeshire
- Church property -- Wales -- Pembrokeshire
- Congregational churches -- Wales -- Pembrokeshire.
- Congregationalists -- Wales -- Pembrokeshire.
- Public welfare -- Wales -- Pembrokeshire.
- Railroad companies -- Wales -- Pembrokeshire.
- Religious institutions -- Wales -- Pembrokeshire
- Law firms -- Wales -- Haverfordwest -- Archives
- Tithes -- Wales -- Pembrokeshire.
Place access points
Name access points
- Williams and Williams, Solicitors (Creator)
- Wesleyan Methodist Church. (Subject)
- Williams and Williams, Solicitors -- Archives (Subject)
- Ambleston Estate (Wales). (Subject)
- Begelly Estate (Wales) (Subject)
- Brawdy Estate (Wales). (Subject)
- Camrose Estate (Pembrokeshire, Wales). (Subject)
- Court House Estate (Pembrokeshire, Wales). (Subject)
- Cwmgloyne Estate (Wales). (Subject)
- Fishguard Harbour Improvement Company. (Subject)
- Hean Castle Estate (Wales). (Subject)
- Hodgeston Estate (Wales). (Subject)
- Hook Estate (Wales). (Subject)
- Manorbier Estate (Wales). (Subject)
- Manorowen Estate (Wales). (Subject)
- Orielton Estate (Wales). (Subject)
- Penhale and Company (Firm). (Subject)
- Pigeonsford Estate (Wales). (Subject)
- Somerton Estate (Wales). (Subject)
- Treffgarne Estate (Wales). (Subject)
- Ty Gwynne Estate (Pembrokeshire, Wales). (Subject)
- Walwyns Castle Estate (Wales). (Subject)
- Welsh Hook Estate (Wales). (Subject)
- Wilsons Estate (Wales). (Subject)
- Wolfsdale Estate (Wales). (Subject)
- Yelverton Estate (Wales). (Subject)
- Green, Francis, 1854-1942. (Subject)
Genre access points
Description control area
Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru = The National Library of Wales
Rules and/or conventions used
Description follows NLW guidelines based on ISAD(G) 2nd ed.; AACR2; and LCSH
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Compiled by J. Graham Jones for the ANW project. The following source was used in the compilation of this description: NLW, Schedule of Haverfordwest (Williams & Williams);