- 1767-1802 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Langford Court was a compact estate in Devon, containing about 465 acres and lying three miles from Cullompton, seven miles from Tiverton, nine from Honiton, and ten from Exeter. The estate was the property of the president and scholars of Corpus Christi College (CCC), Oxford, who let it on a succession of twenty year leases, renewable every seven years for a fine of a year and a quarter's rent. CCC retained the manor of Langford Court, and sent college 'gentlemen' to hold the manorial courts; the tenant was liable to for their bed and board at Langford Court, although this appears to have been commuted to paying for their residence at an appropriate inn.
Charles Gould, esq., took a lease of the estate in 1767, which he renewed in 1774, 1781, 1788 and 1795. In 1774, the fine for the renewal was about £400. The estate appears to have comrised a single Barton [=demense farm]. Rather than working the estate himself, or letting the estate to an undertenant, Gould let the various parcels of the Barton of Langford Court individually to surrounding farmers.
In 1768, Charles Gould appointed John Farrant of Clyst Hydon, gent., as his steward, and on his death appointed his son, also John Farrant of Clyst Hydon, in succession. Charles Gould took the name and arms of Morgan in 1789. In Jan. 1795, Sir Charles Morgan dismissed John Farrant for neglecting his duties, and appointed Thomas Pannell of Cullompton in his place. The lease of the Langford Court estate was sold to Samuel Lott of Honiton in 1802, although Gould had been inclined to sell the estate in 1772, and again from 1792 onwards, having valued the estate at various times between £5350 and £6500.