- -1959, [?1970s]. (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
47 ff. Guarded and filed at NLW.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Twelve letters, -1959, to Augustus John from various correspondents, concerning both personal matters and work.
The correspondents include Lord Beaverbrook, 26 August 1959 (f. 1), [Nora] Brownsword, [late 1920s] (f. 2), Daniel George, 10 June 1957 (f. 3), Elmer Gertz, 3 December 1932 (f. 4), Wyndham Lewis, -1952 (ff. 5-7, 12, 14-16), Dorelia McNeill, 12 November 1928 (f. 18), the Royal Academy of Arts, 6 December 1928 (f. 19), and Homer Saint-Gaudens, 7 November 1938 (f. 20). Also included are draft contracts with Little, Brown & Co., Boston, 1938, for the publication of Augustus John's reminiscences (ff. 22-33); and four letters, -1935, from Mrs Vera Fearing (later Stubbs) to her mother and husband, concerning her extended stays at Fryern Court in order for John to paint her portrait (ff. 34-46), with another brief note by her concerning John, [?1950s] (f. 47). Transcripts and notes [by Michael Holroyd], [?1970s], relating to the Wyndham Lewis letters are ff. 8-11, 13, 17. The letters contain references to Frank Harris (f. 4 recto-verso) and Henry Lamb (f. 6).
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Arranged at NLW as follows: letters to Augustus John; contracts; letters from Vera Fearing.
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Title based on contents.
Preferred citation: NLW MS 23852E.
Virtua system control number
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Royal Academy of Arts (Great Britain) (Subject)
- Little, Brown and Company. (Subject)
- John, Augustus, 1878-1961 -- Correspondence (Subject)
- Lewis, Wyndham, 1882-1957 -- Correspondence. (Subject)
- Stubbs, Vera, b. 1905 -- Correspondence. (Subject)
- John, Augustus, 1878-1961 (Subject)
- Harris, Frank, 1855-1931. (Subject)
- Lamb, Henry, 1883-1960. (Subject)
- Beaverbrook, Max Aitken, Baron, 1879-1964. (Subject)
- Brownsword, Nora, 1890-1980. (Subject)
- George, Daniel, b. 1890. (Subject)
- Gertz, Elmer, 1906-2000. (Subject)
- Lewis, Wyndham, 1882-1957. (Subject)
- McNeill, Dorelia, 1881-1969. (Subject)
- Saint-Gaudens, Homer, b. 1880. (Subject)
- Stubbs, Vera, b. 1905. (Subject)