- 1938-1997. (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
186 ff. (bound in incorrect order; f. 44 should be located after f. 48). Guarded and filed at NLW.
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Some one hundred and forty-five letters, 1938-1997, in English and Welsh, to John Elwyn from various correspondents (surnames D-G), both personal and work related.
The correspondents include Sir Alun Talfan Davies, 1986 (ff. 2-5), Aneirin Talfan Davies, [c. 1975]-1980 (ff. 7-12), Nan Davies, BBC, 1960-1965 (ff. 20-27), Ogwyn Davies, [early 1990s]-1997 (ff. 28-30), Janina Ede, 1996- (ff. 49, 53), Dr Raymond Edwards, 1984-1985 (ff. 57-58), Huw [Ethall], 1996-1997 (ff. 63-67), Elwyn Evans, BBC, 1953-1955, 1988 (ff. 68-76), George Ewart Evans, 1953-1986 (ff. 79-94), Gwynfor Evans, 2 September 1954 (f. 95), Nicholas Evans, 1981-1985 (ff. 100-106), Ray Evans, 1965-1967 (ff. 107-109), Tony [Eyton], 10 November 1950 (f. 110), Mick Felton, 1987-1988 (ff. 129-134), Raymond Garlick, 1958, 1995 (ff. 144-147), and Gwennant Gillespie, 9 September 1996 (ff. 159-160). The letters contain references to Leslie Harries (f. 46 verso) and to a memorial fund for John Ormond (ff. 141-143). Also included is a copy of a typescript letter, 1951, from his Uncle, Evan [Davies], to Jim [Miskell], containing reminiscences of his time living in Saskatchewan, Canada (see Evan Davies and Aled Vaughan, Beyond the Old Bone Trail (London, 1960) and Evan Davies and Aled Vaughan, Arswyd yr Unigeddau, trans. by Phebe Puw (Llandysul, 1980)) (ff. 113-126), and a draft letter, , from John Elwyn (f. 183).
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Arranged alphabetically by correspondent.
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Usual copyright laws apply. Information regarding ownership of George Ewart Evans and Raymond Garlick copyright can be found at http://tyler.hrc.utexas.edu/ (viewed March 2013).
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Title based on contents.
Preferred citation: NLW MS 23799E.
Virtua system control number
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Davies, Alun Talfan, 1913-2000 -- Correspondence. (Subject)
- Davies, Aneirin Talfan -- Correspondence. (Subject)
- Evans, George Ewart -- Correspondence. (Subject)
- Evans, Gwynfor -- Correspondence (Subject)
- Harries, Leslie. (Subject)
- Ormond, John, 1923-1990. (Subject)
- Davies, Alun Talfan, 1913-2000. (Subject)
- Davies, Aneirin Talfan. (Subject)
- Davies, Nan. (Subject)
- Davies, Ogwyn. (Subject)
- Ede, Janina. (Subject)
- Edwards, Thomas Raymond, 1919-1999. (Subject)
- Ethall, Huw. (Subject)
- Evans, Elwyn. (Subject)
- Evans, Gwynfor (Subject)
- Evans, Nicholas, 1907- (Subject)
- Evans, Ray, 1920- (Subject)
- Eyton, Anthony, 1923- (Subject)
- Felton, Mick. (Subject)
- Garlick, Raymond. (Subject)
- Gillespie, Gwennant. (Subject)
- Davies, Evan, 1882?-1958. (Subject)
- Garlick, Raymond -- Correspondence (Subject)
- Evans, George Ewart (Subject)