- 1837-1900 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
76 ff. (foliated 1-65) ; 255 x 285 mm. and less.
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Mrs John Evans (Jane Ivonia Evans, Ivon's daughter); Aberystwyth; Donation; 1944/5.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Papers of John Jones (Ivon), Aberystwyth, 1837-1900, including twenty-five letters addressed to him, 1864-1893, mainly containing social and personal news with some political and other matters.
The correspondents are Thomas Charles Edwards, 1876 (f. 1), D. Silvan Evans, 1875-1893 (ff. 2-9), John Griffith (Gohebydd) (12), 1864-1877 (ff. 10-39), J. R. Kilsby Jones, 1864-1874 (ff. 40-47), Joseph Parry, [1874x1880] (ff. 48-49), Evan M. Richards, MP, 1874 (ff. 51-52), and Evan Williams the limner, 1865 (ff. 53-54); a letter, 1846, from William Wood is addressed to a Miss Williams, possibly Ivon's future wife, Mary (ff. 55-56). Also included are autograph verses by Robert Parry (Robin Ddu Eryri), 1887 (f. 50), Rowland Williams (Hwfa Môn), 1900 (ff. 63-64), and G. Pennar Griffiths (Penar), 1900 (f. 65), and three membership cards, 1837-1868.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Arranged at NLW into: correspondence; other papers.
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Usual copyright laws apply.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Title based on contents.
A National Eisteddfod ticket noted as being part of the manuscript is no longer present.
Verses by Hwfa Môn and Penar, 1900, post-date Ivon's death.
Preferred citation: NLW MS 14026B.
Virtua system control number
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Jones, John, 1820-1898 -- Correspondence. (Subject)
- Griffith, John, 1821-1877 -- Correspondence (Subject)
- Edwards, Thomas Charles, 1837-1900. (Subject)
- Evans, D. Silvan (Daniel Silvan), 1818-1903. (Subject)
- Parry, Joseph, 1841-1903 (Subject)
- Robyn Ddu Eryri, 1804-1892. (Subject)
- Richards, Evan Matthew, 1821-1880. (Subject)
- Williams, Evan, 1816-1878. (Subject)
- Griffiths, Griffith Pennar, 1860-1918. (Subject)
- Wood, William, of Manchester. (Subject)
- Jones, Mary, 1823-1895. (Subject)
- Jones, J. R. Kilsby (James Rhys Kilsby), 1813-1889 (Subject)
- Hwfa Môn, 1823-1905 (Subject)
- Griffith, John, 1821-1877 (Subject)
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Description follows NLW guidelines based on ISAD(G) 2nd ed.; AACR2; and LCSH
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Description compiled by Rhys Morgan Jones.