- 1781-1843. (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Name of creator
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Fifty-eight holograph letters addressed to Susan(na) Lloyd at Hafodunos, Mold, at Soughton House (upper Soughton), Northop, etc. The writers include Ann Jemima Clough, Thakeham Place, 1797 (a proposed visit by the writer's children, news of family and friends), D[orothea] Clough [the recipient's sister], Denbigh,  and undated (2) (legacies bequeathed by the wills of aunt E. Conway and aunt Wickham) (with one draft reply), Richd. Garnons [Colomendy], undated (2) (pleasantries), Eliza Griffith, Carreg-lwyd, etc., -1803 and undated (4) (news of relatives and friends, a meeting at Llangefni in connection with a proposed testimonial to Mr. Sparrow for his services in the Customs, disturbances in the Paris mines, the arrival of troopers in Caernarvonshire for fear of a rising by the poor, the discovery of copper at Ynysygwyddal, the birth of an heir at Leweney and a reference to Mrs. Piozzi, the progress of the harvest, comments on a visit to Bath), Holland Griffith, Carreglwyd, 1838 (amusement afforded the recipient by the writer's Welsh paper, hopes that electioneering differences are fast dying away in Flintshire, a visit to the writer by a multitude of Teetotalists, the letting of the writer's colliery at Berw), Richd. Howard, Denbigh and Beaumaris, c. 1817-1843 and undated (4) (news of relatives and friends, a visit to Bangor Deanery, serious proceedings arising from old Panton's will, a change in the agency of the Marquis of Anglesey, satisfaction with the writer's curate, the probable departure of Thomas Davies from Jesus College, Oxford, a new statute in the University, the rejection of three Anglesey young men for scholarships, observations on the projected division of Soughton Common, a legal action touching a mortgage of the Hafodunos estate (together with a receipt, 1815, from Richd. Howard to Susan Lloyd for a sum of £6/10/0 paid by the former on the latter's behalf to Bevan, the timber merchant, on account of Coedycra Mill), the writer's departure from Beaumaris and subsequent movements, income from minerals received for the recipient, dissension in the National Church) (one incomplete), Catha[rine] Lloyd, from Carreglwyd, from Bath, etc., 94-1820 and undated (26) (copious news of relatives and friends, references to threats of French invasion and to the defenceless state of the Kingdom (1795-1804), accounts of visits to the theatre and to parties and to Ireland and Bath, etc., Colonel William Shipley's success in the Flintshire parliamentary election of 1807, references to the mine at Ynnisygwyddle), J[ohn] Ll[oyd], Dublin Bay, 1801 (an account of the voyage from Holyhead and the arrival at Dublin), M. Lloyd, Bagillt, etc., 81-1790 and undated (9) (personal, the writer's health, news of relatives and friends, the death of the recipient's brother Ben), M. Lloyd, London, etc., 1803-1809 and undated (5) (news of relatives and friends, the health of the writer's husband, a reference to the most excellent shore at Llandidno Bay, the progress of the harvest, the writer's removal to London, visits to the 'Ladies of Llangollen' and to Cheltenham, the recipient's trouble about the writer's chaise), Phoe[be] Lloyd, from Plascoch, undated (the health of the writer's aunt), M. E. Potter, Soughton, 91 (personal, business matters on behalf of the writer's mother, news of the writer's mother) (with additions by M. E. Potter to Mr. Potter, touching 'home matters', with references to stock, and from C[atharine] Lloyd to Susanna Lloyd, touching armorial colours for a piece of plate), and Sarah Potter, undated (thanks for the loan of Aunt Lloyd's letter, requires a supply of ale).
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
The description is also available in the Handlist of Manuscripts in the National Library of Wales, Volume IV (Aberystwyth, 1971).
Generated finding aid
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Title based on contents.
Formerly known as Wigfair 10.
Preferred citation: NLW MS 12410D.
Virtua system control number
Subject access points
- Mines and mineral resources -- France -- Paris
- Revolutions -- France -- Paris.
- Poor -- Wales -- Caernarvonshire
- Peasant uprisings -- Wales -- Caernarvonshire
- Copper -- Wales -- Anglesey
- Elections -- Wales -- Flintshire
- Temperance -- Wales -- Anglesey
- Coal mines and mining -- Wales -- Anglesey
- Mills and mill-work -- Wales -- Flintshire
- Mines and mineral resources -- Wales -- Anglesey.
- French Expedition to Wales, 1797.
- Elections -- Wales -- Flintshire -- 1807
- Bath (England) -- Description and travel.
- Flintshire (Wales) -- Politics and government -- 19th century
- Bangor Deanery (Bangor, Wales)
- Wales -- History -- Invasions.
- Ireland -- Description and travel
- Llandudno (Wales) -- Description and travel.
- Cheltenham (England) -- Description and travel
- Devices (Heraldry) -- Wales
Place access points
Name access points
- Lleweni Estate (Wales) (Subject)
- Berw Colliery (Wales) (Subject)
- Soughton Estate (Wales) (Subject)
- Hafodunos Estate (Wales) (Subject)
- Coedycra Mill (Flintshire, Wales) (Subject)
- Church in Wales (Subject)
- Lloyd, Susanna, Hafodunos -- Correspondence (Subject)
- Piozzi, Hester Lynch, 1741-1821 (Subject)
- Anglesey, Henry Paget, Marquess of, 1797-1869 (Subject)
- Davies, Thomas, Jesus College, Oxford (Subject)
- Shipley, William, ca. 1776-1819 (Subject)
- Butler, Eleanor, Lady, 1739-1829 (Subject)
- Lloyd, Susanna, Hafodunos -- Family -- Death and burial (Subject)
- Ponsonby, Sarah, 1755-1831 (Subject)
- Lloyd, Susanna, Hafodunos (Subject)
- Clough, Ann Jemima, Eriviat (Subject)
- Clough, Dorothea (Subject)
- Garnons, Richard, Colomendy Hall, Denbighshire (Subject)
- Griffith, Eliza (Subject)
- Griffith, Holland, Carreglwyd, Llanfaethlu, Anglesey (Subject)
- Howard, Richard, Denbigh (Subject)
- Lloyd, Catharine, Carreglwyd (Subject)
- Lloyd, M., Bagillt (Subject)
- Lloyd, Phoebe (Subject)
- Potter, M. E. (Subject)
- Potter, Sarah, fl. ca. 1800 (Subject)
- Anglesey, Henry William Paget, Marquis of, 1768-1854 (Subject)