- [13th century]-1924 (accumulated [1920s]-[1930s]). (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.071 cubic metres.
Name of creator
In the 1920s and 1930s, NLW catalogued its smaller collections of deeds and other papers in schedules bound under the heading Miscellaneous Deeds. Some of them are coherent groups, while others are only single items.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Various parts of the collection were donated by Wyndham D. Clark
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Miscellaneous deeds and documents, mainly relating to properties in co. Card., 1675-1902, co. Caern, 1546-1860, co. Carm., 1702-1914, co. Denb., 1575-1850, co. Flint, 1770-1776, co. Glam., [13 cent.?]-1924, co. Mer., 1598-1890, co. Mont., 1465-1877, co. Mon., 1630-1775, co. Pemb., 1753-1930, co. Rad., 1706-1840, Cheshire, 1703-1789, Gloucestershire, 1656-1788, Herefordshire, 1594-1772, Shropshire, 1710-1809, and Ireland, 1671-1922.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
Action: A number of collections originally catalogued here have since been transferred to other collections: the Llanfwrog Baptist Records (vol. 4, p. 2) are now NLW Minor Deposit 295-302B; the W. Southern Clark Diaries (vol. 4, pp. 3-4) are now NLW MSS 7454-7457, 7461-7462; the Alltyrodyn Deeds (vol. 4, pp. 15-23) are now the Swineshead Lincolnshire Deeds; the Merthyr Mawr Documents (vol. 4, pp. 37-40) were transferred to Cardiff in Sept. 1965; the Mrs Birch (Coed Bedw) Papers (vol. 5, pp. 1-2) are now NLW Minor Deposit 304B; the Morgan & Richardson Deeds (v. 5, pp. 14-17) have been renumbered and incorporated into Morgan Richardson; Goronwy Jones Deeds and Documents now form part of the Rees Jenkin Jones Family Papers; and the Salusbury Pedigrees are now NLW Rolls 111-117..
Accruals are not expected.
System of arrangement
Arranged into deeds relating to Carmarthen town, 1709-1851 (Carmarthen Town Deeds 1-34); deeds etc. relating to Leicestershire and to Coety manor and Tal-y-garn, co. Glam., 1384-1695 (Wyndham Clark (G. T. Clark Collection) 1-17); deeds etc. mainly relating to Llanybydder, co. Carm., 1702-1876 (Canon Davies (Llanybydder Deeds) 1-6); deeds etc. mainly relating to co. Denb., 1581-1775 (Gaselee Deeds 1-9); deeds relating to the Wrexham area, 1618-1850 (Seymour-Jones 1-15); deeds etc. relating to Aberystwyth, 1834-1902 (Griffith Jones (Aberystwyth) Deeds 1-12); deeds etc. mainly relating to co. Card., 1748-1842 (J. Jones (Cardiganshire Documents) 1-9); deeds etc. mainly relating to co. Card. and to two actions in Chancery, 1675-1878 (John Morgan Legal Papers); deeds etc. purchased from Mrs Edmondes Owen, 1647-1769 (Edmondes Owen 1-4); deeds relating to a farm known as 'Brooks' in p. Clydog, Herefordshire, 1594-1772 (Brooks Farm Deeds 1-16); Plas Llysfaen (co. Caern) deeds, 1546-1860 (Plas Llysfaen Deeds 1-29); deeds relating to co. Mont., co. Rad. and co. Card., 1647-1899 (UCW Deeds 1-13); deeds relating to p. Llanbedr Felffre, co. Pemb., 1753-1930 (W.E.R. Allen Deeds 1-18); five deeds presented by Robert Steele, 1695-1757 (Robert Steele (Bedfordshire Historical Society) Deeds 1-5); documents relating to the manor of Maesmynan, co. Denb., 1663-1826 (Maesmynan Manor (G. R. Brigstocke) Deeds and Documents 1-15); deeds etc. relating to Llanfair Caereinion, co. Mont., 1774-1877 (Enoch Davies (Llanfair Caereinion) Deeds 1-16); two deeds relating to co. Glam., [13 cent.?]-1487 (F. Ellis Deeds 1-2); deeds etc. relating to co. Pemb., 1800-1832 (J. T. Evans Deeds 1-7); deeds relating to p. Dymock, co. Glos., 1656-1788 (W. R. Francis (Dymock) Deeds 1-8); a deed relating to Machynlleth, co. Mont., 1726 (Gilbertson-Pritchard 1); acts of parliament relating to the Dolgellau area, co. Mer., etc., 1777-1890 (Dolgellau Acts 1-8); deeds relating to Llantrisant and Llanfleiddan, co. Glam., 1799 (A. W. Gwyn (Llantrisant) Deeds 1-2); deeds etc. mainly relating to the Wyche family, and to lead mines and other properties in co. Denb., 1575-1686 (Bernard Halliday (Wyche Family) Deeds 1-9); deeds etc. relating to the Radnorshire Militia and to the Jones family of Nantmel, co. Rad., 1762-1840 (Jones Family (Nantmel) Papers 1-48); deeds etc. mainly relating to Llanbadarn Fawr and Aberystwyth, co. Card., 1762-1848 (Morgan, Nantceiro (Llanbadarn Fawr) Deeds 1-23); deeds etc. relating to Co. Cavan and elsewhere in Ireland, 1671-1922 (Dickson Deeds and Legal Papers 1-72); Ness Strange documents of Welsh interest, 1589-1790 (Ness Strange Deeds); deeds mainly relating to p's Llanfynydd and Llanegwad, co. Carm., 1731-1818 (Robert Rawley (Llanfynydd) Deeds 1-6); deeds relating to co's Rad., co. Glam. and Card., 1706-1787 (Claude White Deeds 1-6); deeds etc. mainly relating to p. Eglwysilan, co. Glam., 1417-1776 (Sotheby (Eglwysilan) Deeds 1-19); deeds etc. mainly relating to Hadnock, p. Dixon, co. Mon., 1641-1775 (Hadnock Deeds 1-43); deeds relating to Aberystwyth, co. Card., 1816-1863 (Anna Maria Deeds 1-9); papers of the James family of Ty'n-rhos, p. Llanfihangel Genau'r-glyn, co. Card., 1784-1899 (James (Ty'n-rhos) Family Papers 5-22); deeds of the Thomas family of p. Penbryn, co. Card., 1690-1770 (Thomas Family (Penbryn) Deeds 1-3); deeds relating to Middletown, co. Mont., 1601-1692 (Middletown Deeds 1-14); a deed belonging to the Powysland Club, 1465 (Powysland Club (1933) 1); deeds etc. mainly relating to Cheshire and Shropshire, 1703-1809 (Hugh Kent Deeds 1-20); papers presented by Colonel A. M. Lloyd of Court Henry, 1709-1834 (Court Henry Documents 1-7); documents relating to Holly Bush, p. Llanrheithan, co. Pemb., 1809-1864 (Holly Bush Deeds 1-12); deeds relating to the town of Newport and p. Grosmont, co. Mon., 1630-1631 (Twiston Davies Deeds 1-2); a deed relating to Dolgellau, co. Mer., 1598 (William Evans (Dolgellau) 1); and deeds relating to 11 Nolton Street, Bridgend, co. Glam., 1903-1924 (Nolton Street (Randall) Deeds 1-5).
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Readers consulting modern papers in the National Library of Wales are required to sign the 'Modern papers - data protection' form.
Conditions governing reproduction
Usual copyright regulations apply.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
English, Latin, French, German.
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
A hard copy of the catalogue is available at the National Library of Wales.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Virtua system control number
Subject access points
- Deeds -- England -- Herefordshire
- Deeds -- Wales -- Carmarthenshire.
- Deeds -- Wales -- Denbighshire.
- Deeds -- Wales -- Glamorgan
- Deeds -- Wales -- Monmouthshire
- Deeds -- England -- Leicestershire.
- Deeds -- Wales -- Ceredigion.
- Deeds -- England -- Cheshire.
- Deeds -- England -- Dymock.
- Deeds -- England -- Salop.
- Deeds -- Ireland -- Cavan.
- Deeds -- Wales -- Aberystwyth.
- Deeds -- Wales -- Breconshire.
- Deeds -- Wales -- Caernarvonshire.
- Deeds -- Wales -- Court Henry (Llangathen)
- Deeds -- Wales -- Coity.
- Deeds -- Wales -- Flintshire
- Deeds -- Wales -- Hadnock.
- Deeds -- Wales -- Lampeter Velfrey.
- Deeds -- Wales -- Llanbadarn Fawr (Ceredigion)
- Deeds -- Wales -- Llanfair Caereinion.
- Deeds -- Wales -- Llanreithan.
- Deeds -- Wales -- Llanybydder.
- Deeds -- Wales -- Llysfaen (Conwy)
- Deeds -- Wales -- Middletown.
- Deeds -- Wales -- Montgomeryshire.
- Deeds -- Wales -- Pembrokeshire.
- Deeds -- Wales -- Radnorshire.
- Deeds -- Wales -- Wrexham.
- Deeds -- Wales -- Maesmynan.
- Diaries -- Wales -- 19th century.
- Mining engineers -- Wales -- Aberdare -- Diaries.
- Militia -- Wales -- Radnorshire.
- Baptists -- Wales -- Llanfwrog (Denbighshire) -- Records and correspondence.
- Church buildings -- Design and construction -- Wales -- Llanfwrog (Denbighshire)
- Manors -- Wales -- Maesmynan -- Records and correspondence.
- Poor laws -- Wales -- Llanfihangel-y-traethau -- Administration.
- Manors -- Wales -- Coity -- Archives.
- Administration of estates -- Wales -- Court Henry (Llangathen)
- Administration of estates -- Wales -- Llysfaen (Conwy)
- Administration of estates -- Wales -- Nanteos.
- Aberystwyth (Wales)
- Cavan (Ireland)
- Clodock (England)
- Coity (Wales)
- Lampeter Velfrey (Wales)
- Llanbadarn Fawr (Ceredigion, Wales)
- Llanfair Caereinion (Wales)
- Llandre (Ceredigion, Wales)
- Llanfihangel-y-traethau (Gwynedd, Wales)
- Llanfwrog (Denbighshire, Wales)
- Llangybi (Ceredigion, Wales)
- Llanybydder (Wales)
- Nantmel (Wales)
- Radnorshire (Wales)
- Wrexham (Wales)
- Dymock (England)
- Hadnock (Wales)
- Llanreithan (Wales)
- Middletown (Wales)
Place access points
Name access points
- Radnorshire militia -- Records and correspondence (Subject)
- Court Henry Estate (Wales) -- Records and correspondence (Subject)
- Plas-yn-Llysfaen Estate (Wales) -- Records and correspondence (Subject)
- Court Henry Estate (Wales) (Subject)
- Plas-yn-Llysfaen Estate (Wales) (Subject)
- Nanteos Estate (Wales) (Subject)
- Coity Manor (Wales) (Subject)
- Maesmynan Manor (Wales) (Subject)
- Clark, William Southern, fl. 1845-1858 (Subject)
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) 2nd ed.;AACR2; and LCSH
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Compiled by Annette Strauch for the ANW project. The following source was used in the compilation of this description: NLW, Miscellaneous Manuscripts & Deeds.