GB 0210 PHILBONT
Phillips of Tal-y-bont Papers,
- 1839-1954 / (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.029 cubic metres (1 box)
Name of creator
The Phillips family were Cardiganshire farmers who farmed at Tre-faes Isaf, Llangwyryfon (c. 1841), Erglodd, Tal-y-bont, (to 1898), and Llwyn-glas, Tal-y-bont, (to 1919).
The papers were owned by M. Phillips-Evans, Bronllys, Capel Bangor, Aberystwyth, before they were given to John Phillip James in Haverfordwest.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Donated by John Phillip James, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, in 1978.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Papers, 1839-1971, relating to farming in Cardiganshire, including agricultural notebooks, 1839-1919, accounts for payments to servants, 1879-1894, accounts of live and dead stock, 1879-1887; business letters, 1890-1918, letters to Richard Phillips, 1890-1901; personal letters, 1868-1971; literary material, late 19th cent.-1940; domestic accounts, 1898-1930; diaries, 1898-1954; papers relating to Tabor Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Llangwyryfon, 1860-1926; and to Talybont school, and Llanilar parish council papers, 1892-1899.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
Action: All records donated have been retained.
Accruals are not expected.
System of arrangement
Arranged into the following: agricultural notebooks; business letters; personal letters; school exercise books; literary material; domestic accounts; documents and papers; material relating to Tabor Calvinistic Methodist chapel, Llangwyryfon; Tal-y-bont school and Llanilar parish council material.
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Readers consulting modern papers in the National Library of Wales are required to sign the 'Modern papers - data protection' form.
Conditions governing reproduction
Usual copyright regulations apply.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
A hard copy of the catalogue is available at the National Library of Wales. The catalogue can be accessed online.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Virtua system control number
Subject access points
- Agriculture -- Wales -- Ceredigion.
- Threshing -- Wales.
- Farm Management -- Wales -- Tal-y-bont.
- Harvesting -- Wales -- Tal-y-bont.
- Farmers -- Wales -- Ceredigion -- Archives.
- Farmers -- Wales -- Tal-y-bont -- Diaries.
- Llangwyryfon (Wales)
- Llanilar (Wales)
- Cardiganshire (Wales)
- Tal-y-bont (Ceredigion, Wales)
Place access points
Name access points
- Phillips family, of Tal-y-bont, Cardiganshire, Wales. (Creator)
- Llanilar (Wales). Parish Council -- Records and correspondence. (Subject)
- Tal-y-bont School (Ceredigion, Wales) -- Records and correspondence. (Subject)
- Tabor (Church : Llangwyryfon, Wales) -- Records and correspondence. (Subject)
- Llanilar (Wales). Parish Council. (Subject)
- Tabor (Church : Llangwyryfon, Wales) (Subject)
- Tal-y-bont School (Ceredigion, Wales) (Subject)
- Phillips family, of Tal-y-bont, Cardiganshire, Wales -- Archives. (Subject)
Genre access points
Description control area
Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru = The National Library of Wales
Rules and/or conventions used
Description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) 2nd ed.;AACR2; and LCSH
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Compiled by Annette Strauch for the ANW project. The following source was used in the compilation of this description: NLW, Schedule of Phillips of Tal-y-bont Papers.