Math o endid
Ffurf awdurdodedig enw
Ffurf(iau) cyfochrog enw
Ffurf(iau) safonol o enw yn ôl rheolau eraill
Ffurf(iau) arall o enw
Dynodwyr ar gyfer cyrff corfforaethol
The Mostyn library at Mostyn Hall, Flintshire, held one of the foremost manuscript collections in Wales. It was founded by Sir Thomas Mostyn (d. 1618). Thomas's great-grandson Roger (1623-1690) was created a baronet in 1660 and his son Thomas (1651-1700?), second baronet, collected many of the most important books in the library. His grandson Thomas Mostyn (1704-1758), fourth baronet, also made important additions to the library at Mostyn. Over the course of time the libraries of other North Wales estates were added to that of Mostyn. The Gloddaeth estate in Caernarfonshire had belonged to the Mostyns since the fifteenth century. Sir Thomas founded a significant library there which was eventually incorporated into the Mostyn library. The fifth baronet, Sir Roger Mostyn (1734-1796), married Margaret Wynn, heiress of Bodysgallen, Caernarfonshire, which had a significant library. In 1791 she inherited the Corsygedol and Nannau estates and their libraries. The direct Mostyn line became extinct with the death of the sixth baronet in 1831, the estates passing to Sir Edward Pryce Lloyd (1768-1854), created 1st Baron Mostyn of Mostyn. The library remained intact until the twentieth century when various groups were sold off or auctioned in 1918, 1920 and 1974.