Clenennau, Glyn, Sylfaen and Ystumcegid estate correspondence,
- 1609-1888. (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
9 folders, 6 envelopes.
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Letters to Sir William Maurice, 1609, [Sir John Owen], 1634, and Mrs [Jonet?] Owen, [c. 1637], William Wynn of Glyn, 1644, Sir Robert and Dame Margaret Owen, [1682x1698], 1698-1725, Ellen Owen, 1688-[c. 1702], Jane Owen, 1700-1703, William Owen, 1714-1765, Mary Owen, 1736-1779, Robert Godolphin and Ellen Owen, 1769-1793, Owen Ormsby, 1793-1796, Mary Jane Ormsby-Gore, 1810-1860, William Ormsby-Gore, 1822-1859, and William Richard Ormsby-Gore, 1880-1888, received from the Caernarfonshire and Merionethshire estate stewards, tenants, solicitors and other individuals concerning estate business, accompanied by occasional replies and relevant letters from third parties. Recurrent subjects include problems associated with tenancies and property repairs on the Clenennau, Glyn and Ystumcegid estates, accounts and outgoings, provision of commodities, family and local news, rights to sitting places in church, creation of burgesses, particularly at Cricieth, [1688x1702], 1793, 1796, enclosures, trespasses, crown lands, exploitation of timber and extraction of minerals (1880s especially). Particular topics of interest include the mortgage on Ystumcegid, 1688-1703; horse racing in Caernarfonshire, 1732; purchase of Dolbenmaen, 1735-1736; the construction of the Porthmadog railway; road improvement and other public works; the authority of the mayor and bailiff of Bala; building leases on Corporation land at Cricieth; and construction of a factory at Singrig [Llanfihangel-y-Traethau], 1841-1860. Several of the letters incorporate agent's accounts.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Arranged chronologically by recipient and chronologically within each file.
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Generated finding aid
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Title supplied from content of series.
Preferred citation: EAA4.
Virtua system control number
Subject access points
- Building leases -- Wales -- Criccieth.
- Crown lands -- Wales -- Caernarvonshire.
- Crown lands -- Wales -- Merioneth.
- Factories -- Wales -- Llanfihangel-y-traethau.
- Horse racing -- Wales -- Caernarvonshire.
- Inclosures -- Wales -- Caernarvonshire.
- Inclosures -- Wales -- Merioneth.
- Mines and mineral resources -- Wales -- Caernarvonshire.
- Mines and mineral resources -- Wales -- Merioneth.
- Municipal officials and employees -- Wales -- Bala.
- Pews and pew rights -- Wales -- Caernarvonshire.
- Railroads -- Wales -- Porthmadog.
- Roads -- Wales -- Caernarvonshire.
- Roads -- Wales -- Merioneth.
- Timber -- Wales -- Caernarvonshire.
- Timber -- Wales -- Merioneth.
- Freemen -- Wales -- Criccieth.
- Singrig Mill (Gwynedd, Wales)
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru = The National Library of Wales