- [1770s] (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
332 ff. (paginated 1-664; various old foliations; pp. 29-32, 132-135, 149-152, 174-180, 452-460, 508-512 blank) ; c. 205 x 165 mm.
Calf over boards with a leather spine; blind tooling.
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
A composite volume in the hand of the Rev. Evan Evans (Ieuan Fardd) containing Welsh and English poetry (pp. 1-102, 127-207, 215-393, 497-507, 549-664), by Ieuan Fardd himself, Edward Richard, Tudur Aled and Edmwnd Prys and others, as well as extracts from Pope's Messiah (including a Welsh translation) (pp. 33, 47) and a translation from the work of Milton (pp. 215-242). One poem (pp. 153-173) is dedicated to Sir Watkin Williams Wynn. There are also extracts from Virgil's Fourth Eclogue, with Beattie's translation into English (pp. 13-28), from Dryden's translation of Virgil (109: The Song of Simeon) (pp. 103-114), from Lord Lyttelton's history of Henry II (1767) (pp. 115-125), and from 'Llyfr Plas y Ward' ('Ystori Gr: ap Cynan') (pp. 397-428); copies of letters from Dr Tancred Robinson to Robert Davies, Llannerch, and between Robert Davies and William Lloyd, bishop of St Asaph (pp. 429-451); 'A letter on British History' relating to Geoffrey of Monmouth, Humphrey Llwyd and others (pp. 461-492); a copy of a translation, 1629, by the Rev. Richard Lloyd of a work by Arthur Dent (second edition (1683), edited by Charles Edwards, with a copy of Charles Edwards's preface) (pp. 493-496); a copy of the title, dedication, etc. of James Howell's Lexicon Tetraglotton (London, 1660) (pp. 513-548); etc.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Access to the original manuscript by authorised permission only. Readers are directed to use surrogate copies.
Conditions governing reproduction
Usual copyright laws apply.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Welsh, English, Latin.
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Historical Manuscripts Commission, Report on Manuscripts in the Welsh Language, ed. by J. Gwenogvryn Evans, 2 vols (London: HMSO, 1898-1910), II (1905), 802-804.
Generated finding aid
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Available on microfilm at the Library.
Related units of description
Formerly Panton MS 2.
Preferred citation: NLW MS 1971B.
Title based on contents.
Virtua system control number
Place access points
Name access points
- Williams-Wynn, Watkin, 1749-1789 -- Poetry. (Subject)
- Pope, Alexander, 1688-1744 -- Translations into Welsh. (Subject)
- Virgil -- Translations into English. (Subject)
- Milton, John, 1608-1674 -- Translations into Welsh. (Subject)
- Geoffrey, of Monmouth, Bishop of St. Asaph, 1100?-1154. (Subject)
- Dent, Arthur, 1552/3-1603 -- Translations into Welsh. (Subject)
- Pope, Alexander, 1688-1744. (Subject)
- Virgil. (Subject)
- Beattie, James, 1735-1803. (Subject)
- Dryden, John, 1631-1700. (Subject)
- Robinson, Tancred, Sir, d. 1748. (Subject)
- Davies, Robert, 1658-1710 (Subject)
- Lloyd, William, 1627-1717. (Subject)
- Lloyd, Richard, 1594 or 5-1659. (Subject)
- Edwards, Charles, 1627 or 8-1691? (Subject)
- Howell, James, 1594?-1666. (Subject)
- Lyttelton, George Lyttelton, Baron, 1709-1773 (Subject)
- Llwyd, Humphrey, 1527-1568 (Subject)