A journey in cos. Glamorgan and Carmarthen; agricultural data; etc.,
- NLW MS 13115B.
Part of Llanover Manuscripts
A volume in the hand of Edward Williams ('Iolo Morganwg') containing accounts of a journey made by the said Edward Williams through parts of cos. Glamorgan and Carmarthen in June 1796, agricultural data, etc. P. ix is inscribed 'Agricultural Observations, &c., 1796', and p. xi 'Agricultural Observations Made in a Journey thro some Parts of Glamorgan and Caermarthenshire In June 1796 By Edward Williams'. Pp. 1-116 contain an account of the aforementioned journey, the writer setting out from the parish of Flimston, co. Glamorgan, and travelling via the parish of St. Athan, Newton Down, Pyle, Margam, Swansea, the parish of Langyvelach, Pont ar Dulais, Llanedy Forest, Llanon, Llandarog, Carmarthen, Abergwily, Llanllawddog, Glangwily, and Brechva, to Ystyffylau Carn Mountain, co. Carmarthen, and thence back via Pibwr Village, Llangyndeyrn, Llandyfaelog, Kidwely, Llanelly, Lougher, Swansea, Morris Town, the parish of Llansamled, Neath, and Pont Rhyd y Fen, to Llangynwyd. Observations are made on the topography, geology, soil, climate, vegetation, horticultural and agricultural produce and methods, local industries, mineral resources, buildings, people, etc., of the areas visited, and there are also agricultural and horticultural observations and suggestions of a more general nature arising from what the writer saw. Pp. 117-20 + 125 contain further notes being addenda to the material in pp. 1-116, and pp. 121-4 (misplaced) notes headed 'Orchards and Gardening'. Pp. 133-61 contain a section headed 'Anecdotes of Ancient Agriculture In the County of Glamorgan' which includes notes relating to ancient lime quarries and marl pits in Glamorgan, allusions to references relating to agriculture and horticulture in the works of certain Welsh bards, the Welsh laws, and other Welsh manuscripts, a reference to a 'very ancient' Welsh manuscript treatise on agriculture called 'Cynghorion Hen wr izei vab yng nghylch trin Tir a Neveilod' or 'Cato Gymraeg', and notes on the practice of alternating manures, whilst pp. 165-224 contain an incomplete section headed 'Manures' which lists eighteen 'manures of Glamorgan' and deals in great detail with the properties, results, etc., of two of these, viz. marl and lime. Pp. 237-84 contain a section dealing with the rotation of crops [? in co. Glamorgan] which outlines and comments on different schemes or courses of rotation for different soils, and pp. 285-316 contain fifty-one numbered paragraphs providing miscellaneous information and data relating to co. Glamorgan including a list of buildings, etc., attributed to Inigo Jones, notes on Frampton House, a measure called 'Mesur Llath Fleddyn', locations where astroites, trochites, alabaster, mundic, tobacco-pipe clay, and Stourbridge clay were to be found, New Margam (or Tai Bach) with the copper works and colliery located there, Melin Grufudd and the tin mills there, St. Mary Hill Down, Penlline Castle, the building of Rumney Bridge, Ffynon Gattwg, the islands called Landaff Arles in the river Tave, the locations of veins of rag lias and bastard lias, 'the several Tracts of [the] Country [of Glamorgan] and their soil', Dyffryn Goluch, and Riwperra Castle, copies of memorial inscriptions in various churches and churchyards, etc. Another or draft version of the account of the journey described on pp. 1-116 is to be found on pp. 317-80.