- 1804-1806 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
49 ff. ; 325 x 205 mm. and less.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Mr H. de S. Shortt, curator, Salisbury, South Wiltshire & Blackmore Museum; Salisbury; Donation; December 1950
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Nineteen letters, 1804-1806, to Sir Richard Colt Hoare, mostly concerning antiquities in Brecknockshire and elsewhere in Wales, as well as Shropshire and Cheshire, and mostly relating to Hoare's research for his Itinerary of Archbishop Baldwin Through Wales, A.D. 1188, by Giraldus de Barri …, 2 vols (London, 1806) (ff. 1-34).
The correspondents include Walter Davies (Gwallter Mechain), 1 November 1804 (ff. 1-2), R[ichard] Fenton, 1805 (ff. 3-11), Theophilus Jones, [?1805] (ff. 16-17), William Owen [Pughe], 1805-1806 (ff. 18-23), and [the Rev.] Henry [Thomas] Payne, 1804-1805 (ff. 24-34). The letters also include a sketch map of possible Roman remains near Llanymynech, Montgomeryshire (f. 2); a transcript of a Latin document of 1295/6 relating to Shrawardine Castle (f. 15); and translations into English by William Owen [Pughe] of part of an ode and englynion by Cynddelw (f. 19 verso, 20-21). Also included are further notes by William Owen [Pughe] on Bardic lore and Cynddelw (ff. 35-47) and by Henry Thomas Payne on Giraldus Cambrensis (ff. 48-49).
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Arranged alphabetically by correspondent at NLW.
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Usual copyright laws apply.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
English, Latin, Welsh.
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Title based on contents.
Preferred citation: NLW MS 15257D.
Virtua system control number
Place access points
Name access points
- Shrawardine Castle (England) (Subject)
- Hoare, Richard Colt, Sir, 1758-1838 -- Correspondence. (Subject)
- Pughe, W. Owen (William Owen), 1759-1835 -- Correspondence. (Subject)
- Payne, Henry Thomas, 1759 or 60-1832 -- Correspondence. (Subject)
- Giraldus, Cambrensis, 1146?-1223? (Subject)
- Hoare, Richard Colt, Sir, 1758-1838. (Subject)
- Davies, Walter, 1761-1849. (Subject)
- Jones, Theophilus, 1759-1812. (Subject)
- Pughe, W. Owen (William Owen), 1759-1835. (Subject)
- Payne, Henry Thomas, 1759 or 60-1832. (Subject)
- Fenton, Mr. (Richard), 1746-1821 (Subject)
- Cynddelw Brydydd Mawr (Subject)
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Description follows NLW guidelines based on ISAD(G) 2nd ed.; AACR2; and LCSH
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
December 2007 and May 2014.
Description compiled by Bethan Ifan, and revised by Rhys Morgan Jones