- 1676-1710. (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Manuscript London newsletters from John Gadbury and others, 1676-1710, addressed mainly to Sir Robert Owen, which strongly reflect the government, politics and society of the Stuart period. Recurrent topics are the relations between the Stuart monarchs and Parliament; proceedings of Parliament and government departments; English election results; events at the royal court; the establishment of Protestantism; antipathy towards Catholics and Protestant dissenters; political conspiracies; foreign affairs in Europe; British overseas trade and colonisation; local government in London; City gossip and Oxford University news. Items of specific interest include the murder of Sir Edmund Berry [Godfrey], 1679; rebellion of the Scottish Covenanters, 1679; the Titus Oates plot and its repercussions, 1679-1685; the trial of Lord Stafford, 1680; the Rye House Plot, 1683; the formation of a mounted bodyguard for Charles II, 1683; effects of Quo Warranto, 1683, and subsequent restoration of London and other corporation charters, 1688; the Austro-Turkish War, 1683-1691; the controversial electorship of Cologne, 1688; a protest by seven bishops against the Declaration of Indulgence, 1688; the abdication of James II and accession of William and Mary, 1688-1689; reviews of revenue and excise, 1688-1689; abolition of the Council of the Marches of Wales, 1688-1689; Jacobite rebellions in Ireland and Scotland, 1688-1691; War of the Grand Alliance, 1688-1697; the papal successsion, 1689; government of the Scottish Church, 1689; the suicide of Lord Teviot, 1694; the War of Spanish Succession, 1710; and activities of Dr Sacheverell, 1710.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Arranged chronologically by and within each file.
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Title of series supplied from content.
Preferred citation: PQN3.
Virtua system control number
Subject access points
- Conspiracies -- England -- Early works to 1800.
- Covenanters -- Scotland -- Early works to 1800.
- Guards troops -- England -- London.
- Jacobites -- Early works to 1800.
- Quo warranto.
- Europe -- History -- 1648-1715 -- Early works to 1800.
- Great Britain -- Politics and government -- 1660-1714 -- Early works to 1800.
- Great Britain -- Religion -- 17th century -- Early works to 1800.
- London (England) -- Charters, grants, privileges.
Place access points
Name access points
- England and Wales. Council of Wales and the Marches (Subject)
- University of Oxford -- History -- 17th century. (Subject)
- Godfrey, Edmund Berry, Sir, 1621-1678 -- Assassination. (Subject)
- Stafford, William Howard, Viscount, 1614-1680 -- Trials, litigation, etc. (Subject)
- Sacheverell, Henry, 1674?-1724. (Subject)
- Teviot, Robert Spencer, Viscount, 1628-1694. (Subject)
- Owen, Robert, Sir, 1658-1698 (Subject)