NLW MS 11087B [RESTRICTED ACCESS].
- [16-17 cents]. (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Bound in full green morocco, with gilt and blind tooling, and lettered 'Welsh Bards. The Book of the Vaughans. MS. Sec. XVI'.
The name of John Wynne ap John Gryffyth Vychan is written at the foot of f. 51. The volume bears the bookplate of Alexander Peckover, 1st baron Peckover of Wisbech.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
A volume of transcripts of Welsh poetry. The first fifty-one folios contain copies, in a 16th-century hand, of 'cywyddau' by Siôn Cent, Iolo Goch, Dafydd ap Gwilym, Madog Benfras, Gruffudd Gryg, Dafyddd ab Edmwnd, Iorwerth Fynglwyd, Tudur Aled, Dafydd Nanmor and others. The remainder of the volume (ff. 52-147) is in several hands of the end of the 17th century. At the head of f. 52 is the following note:- 'Haec sequens Collectio facta fuit Opera P.V.A.M. ...', the initials probably representing the name of Peter Vaughan, M.A., who was vicar of Llangernyw from 1682 to 1689. This part of the manuscript contains the names and arms of the fifteen tribes of Gwynedd; pedigrees of some Abergele families (among them that of Peter Vaughan himself) taken from the books of Sion Tudur and Rhys Cain; an account of the five residences of Sir Roger Mostyn in 1682; poetry in strict and free metres by Sion Tudur, Morus Dwyfech, Richard Phylip, Gryffydd Phylip, Guto'r Glyn, Maredudd ap Rhys, Edmwnd Prys, Lewis Glyn Cothi and others; etc.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Access to the original manuscript by authorised permission only. Readers are directed to use surrogate copies.
Conditions governing reproduction
Usual copyright laws apply.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Available on microfilm at the Library.
Related units of description
Title based on contents.
Preferred citation: NLW MS 11087B [RESTRICTED ACCESS].
Virtua system control number
Place access points
Name access points
- Vaughan, Peter, Rev. (Subject)
- Tudur, Siôn (Subject)
- Mostyn, Roger, Sir, 1624-1690 -- Homes and haunts (Subject)
- Llywelyn ap Cynfrig Ddu o Fôn, fl. ca. 1460-1500. (Subject)
- Vaughan, Peter, Rev. -- Family (Subject)
- Siôn Cent, approximately 1367-approximately 1430 (Subject)
- Gruffudd Gryg, fl. 1357-1370 (Subject)
- Iolo, Goch, active 1345-1397 (Subject)
- Dafydd ap Gwilym, active 14th century (Subject)
- Madog Benfras, fl. 1320-1360 (Subject)
- Dafydd ab Edmwnd, active 1450-1490 (Subject)
- Iorwerth Fynglwyd, fl. 1485-1527 (Subject)
- Tudur Aled, approximately 1465-approximately 1525 (Subject)
- Dafydd Nanmor, active 1450-1490 (Subject)
- Tudur, Siôn (Subject)
- Morus ap Dafydd ab Ifan ab Einion, active 1523-1590 (Subject)
- Guto'r Glyn, fl. 1430-1468 (Subject)
- Phylip, Rhisiart, d. 1641 (Subject)
- Phylip, Gruffydd, d. 1666 (Subject)
- Maredudd ap Rhys, fl. 1440-1483 (Subject)
- Lewis Glyn Cothi, active 1440-1490 (Subject)
- Prys, Edmund, 1544-1623 (Subject)
- Rhys Cain, -1614 (Subject)
Description control area
Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru = The National Library of Wales
Rules and/or conventions used
Description follows NLW guidelines based on ISAD(G) 2nd ed.; AACR2; and LCSH
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
January 2009 & August 2011.
Description compiled by Bethan Ifans for the retrospective conversion project of NLW MSS, and revised by Bethan Ifan. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Handlist of Manuscripts in the National Library of Wales, Volume III (Aberystwyth, 1961); The Peerage WWW site;