GB 0210 LEOIES
Sir Leonard Twiston Davies Collection,
- [c. 1250]-1913 (accumulated [c. 1914]-1949) / (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
1.116 cubic metres (39 boxes)
Name of creator
Sir Leonard Twiston Davies (1894-1953) was educated at Charterhouse school, Godalming, Surrey, and Liverpool University and served in the army for three years (1915-1918). Afterwards, he settled in Herefordshire, and later Monmouthshire. He served on numerous public bodies and became first, treasurer of the National Library of Wales (1945-1949) and, later, its vice-president (1950-1952). Sir Leonard collected a range of archival documents, including a large collection of the records of an 18th and 19th-century solicitor's firm in Monmouth, run in the early 19th century under the partnership of Powles and Tyler.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Donated by Sir Leonard Twiston Davies, 1934-1949.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Papers of Messrs Powles & Tyler of Monmouth, solicitors, including deeds, accounts and correspondence, 1683-1895, predominantly 1780-1880, relating mainly to Monmouthshire families; deeds and accounts relating to individual properties, mainly in Monmouthshire, 1614-1901; sale posters for properties, mostly in Monmouthshire, 1777-1860; shrievalty papers, 1824-1845; records of civil cases, 1762-1848; probate records, 1733-1900; insurance papers, 1737-1881; taxation papers, 1800-1871; insolvent debtors papers, 1807-1831; papers of Friendly Societies, 1833-1874; papers relating to industry, 1790-1872, transport, 1826-1913, and religion, 1804-[early 20th century]; election and electoral registration papers, mainly in Monmouthshire on behalf of the Conservative party, 1818-1885; personal papers, 1808-1895; and miscellaneous items, [c. 1250]-1886, including oriental documents, [early 19th century], acquired by Sir Leonard Twiston Davies, mainly the work of Persian poet, Mīzrā 'Abdu'l-Wahhāb of Eşfahān (d. 1828).
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
Action: All records donated to the National Library of Wales have been retained..
Accruals are not expected.
System of arrangement
Arranged into the following: papers of Messrs Powles & Tyler, solicitors, and papers not related to Powles & Tyler.
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Readers consulting modern papers in the National Library of Wales are required to sign the 'Modern papers - data protection' form.
Conditions governing reproduction
Usual copyright regulations apply.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
English, Persian, Arabic, Sanskrit, Bengali.
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
A hard copy of the catalogue is available at the National Library of Wales.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Title supplied from contents of fonds. The majority of the material collected by Sir Leonard Twiston Davies predates his birth.
Virtua system control number
Subject access points
- Deeds -- England -- Herefordshire
- Deeds -- Wales -- Monmouthshire.
- Administration of estates -- England.
- Administration of estates -- Wales
- Law firms -- Wales -- Monmouth.
- Iranian poetry -- 19th century
- Poets, Persian -- 19th century
- Politics, Practical -- Wales -- Monmouthshire.
- Elections -- Wales -- Monmouthshire.
- Friendly societies -- Wales -- Monmouthshire.
- Industries -- Wales -- Monmouthshire.
- Transportation -- Wales -- Monmouthshire.
- Sheriffs -- Wales -- Monmouthshire.
- Monmouth (Wales)
- Eşfahān (Iran)
Place access points
Name access points
- Davies, Leonard Twiston, Sir, 1894-1953 (Creator)
- Powles and Tyler, Solicitors -- Archives (Subject)
- Conservative Party (Great Britain) -- Archives (Subject)
- Powles and Evans(Solicitors) (Subject)
- Powles and Tyler(Solicitors) (Subject)
- Powles and Vizard(Solicitors) (Subject)
- Vizard and Son, Solicitors. (Subject)
- Nashāt, 'Abd al-Vahhāb, 1761 or 2-1828 or 9 (Subject)
Genre access points
Description control area
Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru = The National Library of Wales
Rules and/or conventions used
Description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) 2nd ed.;AACR2; and LCSH
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Compiled by Richard Burman for the ANW Project. The following source was used in the compilation of this description: NLW, Schedule of the Sir Leonard Twisdon Davies Collection;