- [1779x1835] / (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
247 pp. (forty pages blank).Bound in half leather with marbled paper sides.Edges of binding and leaves damaged by damp.Edges of binding and leaves damaged by damp.
Name of creator
Name of creator
Name of creator
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
A composite volume, the contents including: pp. 1-2, an English prose rendering of a 'cywydd' by Tudur Aled requesting a horse from the Abbot of Aber Conwy, the first line of the original being 'Gydag un a geidw Gwynedd . . .'; p. 3, 'Names of the Horse', a list of equivalents in several languages; pp. 3-15, 'Extracts from the historical triads of Britain' followed by several quotations and extracts relating to the horse; p. 17, a formal acknowledgement, 1794, from T. W. Wrighte, secretary of the Society of Antiquaries, of the second part of William Owen [-Pughe]'s dictionary; pp. 19-44, an English translation of the beginning of Llyfr y Tri Aderyn . . . by Morgan Llwyd (for an edition of the Welsh text see Thomas E. Ellis (ed.), Gweithiau Morgan Llwyd o Wynedd, vol. 1, (Bangor, 1899), pp. 157-89); p. 45, eleven verses beginning 'Mi glowais newydd digri . . .', and an 'englyn' beginning 'Dannod lliw'r manod ai Mîn, dannod Twyll . . .'; p. 47, a list of words headed 'New Holland Language'; pp. 49-86, vocabularies, notes on languages, etc.; pp. 87-110, a Cornish-English vocabulary (A-C), headed 'from a Mss at Mr Halsells wrote about 1710' ('30 years ago' deleted), as well as Cornish versions of the Lord's Prayer; pp. 111-18, a Welsh-English vocabulary; pp. 125-56, 'Egwyddor y Prif Gristnogion Neu reol y Bywyd wedi ei adnewyddu Gyda dull o wir dduwioldeb A'r modd i brofi ein buchedd yn gyfatebol', based on Hugh Turford, Sylfaen Buchedd sanctaidd . . . (Caerfyrddin, 1773), tt. 55-103; pp. 159-68, 'Awdyl voliant i Rys ab Gruffydd ap Howel ap Gruffydd ap Ednyfed Vychan o Von', by Einion Ofeiriad [sic] dated 1280, in the hand of Edward Williams, 'Iolo Morganwg', beginning 'Rhys ap Gruffudd fudd feiddiaw rhoddiawdr rhyssedd . . .'; pp. 179-87, a holograph copy sent to Mr. Thomas Roberts, Goldsmith, of an elegy entitled 'Awdl . . . goffadwriaeth am . . . Goronwy Owain sef Testyn y Gwyneddigion . . . 1803' by 'Eliwlod' [= David Owen, 'Dewi Wyn o Eifion'] (cf. Cymdeithas y Gwyneddigion, Awdlau Coffadwriaeth am y Parchedig Goronwy Owain . . . 1803 (Llundain, ), tt. -18); pp. 191-3, printed proposals, 1789, for printing A Welsh and English Dictionary . . . by William Owen; pp. 195-6, five stanzas entitled 'Peace' beginning 'The Song of Peace who would not gladly sing . . .'; p. 197, a broadside containing an elegy by Dafydd Ionawr [David Richards], Marwnad y Seneddwr Enwog, Thomas Williams o Fon Esquire (Dolgellau: T. Williams, 1803); p. 199, a printed notice of an eisteddfod to be held at Caerwys, Whitsuntide 1798, under the auspices of the Gwyneddigion Society; and pp. 202-47, a draft introduction by William Owen [-Pughe] to his dictionary, most of which is crossed out, together with miscellaneous linguistic material.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
English, Welsh, Cornish.
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
The description is also available in the Handlist of Manuscripts in the National Library of Wales, Volume IV (Aberystwyth, 1971).
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Title based on contents.
Formerly known as Mysevin 15.
Preferred citation: NLW MS 13235B.
Virtua system control number
Place access points
Name access points
- Gwyneddigion Society (Subject)
- Eisteddfod y Gwyneddigion (1803) (Subject)
- Eisteddfod Caerwys (1798 : Caerwys, Wales) (Subject)
- Society of Antiquaries of London. (Subject)
- Llwyd, Morgan, 1619-1659 -- Translations into English (Subject)
- Tudur Aled, approximately 1465-approximately 1525 -- Translations into English (Subject)
- Turford, Hugh, d. 1713 (Subject)
- Rhys ap Gruffydd ap Hywel ap Gruffydd ap Ednyfed Fychan -- Poetry (Subject)
- Roberts, Thomas, goldsmith (Subject)
- Owen, Goronwy, 1723-1769? -- Death and burial -- Poetry (Subject)
- Williams, Thomas, 1737-1802 -- Death and burial -- Poetry (Subject)
- Wrighte, T. W. (Subject)
- Einion Offeiriad, fl. 1330 (Subject)
- Wyn, Dewi, 1784-1841 (Subject)
- Richards, David, 1751-1827 (Subject)
Genre access points
- Welsh poetry -- 1400-1550 -- Translations into English.
- Triads (Literature)
- Welsh literature -- Early modern, 1550-1700 -- Translations into English
- Welsh poetry -- 18th century
- Welsh poetry -- 19th century
- Welsh poetry -- 1100-1400
- Elegiac poetry, Welsh -- 19th century
- English poetry -- 18th century.
- English poetry -- 19th century