- 1613-1642. (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
194 pp. Half bound.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Poetry in praise of William Owen of Henllys (c. 1486-1574) and his son George Owen (c. 1552-1613), of George William Griffith (1584-1655?) of Penybenglog, Pembrokeshire and others. The text is in several hands; pp. 1-62 shows beautiful penmanship. Some of the poems are dated and several (Dafydd Emlyn (pp. 145, 161, 186), Dafydd Llwyd Mathew (pp. 149, 153), Gruffudd Hafren (p. 157), Harri Howel (p. 180), Robert Dyfi (p. 182), Siams Emlyn (p. 183) appear to be autograph. Pp. 129-136 are apparently in the autograph of R. Phillipp [Rhisiart Phylip]. Other cited poets include Iolo Goch, Dafydd Nanmor, Sion Mawddwy and Taliesin.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Access to the original manuscript by authorised permission only. Readers are directed to use surrogate copies.
Conditions governing reproduction
Usual copyright laws apply.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
J. Gwenogvryn Evans, Report on Manuscripts in the Welsh Language, vol. II, part II (London, 1903), pp. 492-496.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Available on microfilm at the Library.
Related units of description
Formerly Shirburn MS E. 18.
Preferred citation: Llanstephan MS 38 [RESTRICTED ACCESS].
Virtua system control number
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Owen, William, ca. 1486-1574 -- Poetry (Subject)
- Owen, George, 1552-1613 -- Poetry (Subject)
- Griffith, George William, 1584-1655? -- Poetry (Subject)
- Gruffudd Hafren, fl. ca. 1600 (Subject)
- Dafydd Emlyn, fl. 1603-1622 (Subject)
- Howel, Harri, fl. 1637-1671 (Subject)
- Dafydd Llwyd Mathau, fl. 1601-1629 (Subject)
- Robert Dyfi, fl. ca. 1620 (Subject)
- Siams Emlyn (Subject)
- Phylip, Rhisiart, d. 1641 (Subject)
- Iolo, Goch, active 1345-1397 (Subject)
- Dafydd Nanmor, active 1450-1490 (Subject)
- Siôn Mawddwy, approximately 1575-1613 (Subject)
- Taliesin (Subject)