- [1760x1800], [19 cent., second ½]. (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
A massive though ill-arranged scrap-book compiled by D. Silvan Evans containing holograph letters, addressed, except where otherwise stated, to D. Silvan Evans, from D[avid] Nutt, London, 1879 (the text of Presbyter Johannes), S. Prideaux Tregelles, Plymouth, 1860 (the importance of publishing old Welsh prose texts, the writer's views on the essentials of a Welsh dictionary), P[ierre] F[ran?] Merlet, [London] 1853 (advice on French grammars), W[illia]m Smith, [London] 1846 (the proposed publication of a dictionary of Greek and Roman biography and mythology), Reverend T[homas] Briscoe, Holyhead, 1861 (thanks for a copy of the recipient's Llythyraeth yr Iaith Gymraeg), W. W. E. Wynne [of Peniarth] from London  (an invitation to Peniarth to meet Mr Skene), W. Williams ('Caledfryn'), Groes Wen, Pont y Pridd, 1868 (compositor's errors in an article by the recipient), [William] Sotheby to [Thomas Burgess] bishop of Salisbury, 1831 (presenting a copy of the writer's version of the Iliad), C[onnop Thirlwall] bishop of St Davids, Abergwili, 43 (accepting the dedication of the recipient's volume of poems), T. Price ('Carnhuanawc'), Cwmdu, 1842-8 (2) (subscribing to a copy of the recipient's Blodau Ieuainc, the derivation of the English 'bother'), W. Owen Pughe, Egryn to 'Unben Gee', 1831 (declining an invitation to Rhyl), I[sidore] Brasseur, King's Coll[ege], Lond[on], 1853 (advice on French grammars and 'the genius of the French Language'), A. Tallenyn, London, 1853 (advice on Italian grammars), C[harles] Meyer, Windsor Castle, 47 (subscribing to the recipient's new English and Welsh Dictionary), John M. Traherne, Coedriglan, 1844 (Cardiff eisteddfod), Ernst Sattler, Coburg, 1869 (enclosing a list of Welsh books in the writer's possession), John Thomas ('Ieuan Morganwg'), Newcastle [upon] Tyne, undated (covering poetry by the writer), H. Gaidoz, London, 1869 (an article on Skene's Four Ancient Books of Wales, the recipient's Dictionary and Llyfryddiaeth y Cymry) (French), Le Chevalier de Chatelain, London 1864 (2) (the writer's French translation of the Canterbury Tales, etc.), [John Jones] 'Tegid', Nevern, 1845 (enclosing poems for competition, Aneurin Owen's translation of the Gododdin), James Tully, R[oman] C[atholic] College, Maynooth, 1868 (English-Irish dictionaries), Thomas Powell, Llanwrtyd [aft. Prof. Thomas Powel, University College, Cardiff] to [J. H. Silvan] Evans, undated (criticism of Jeremiah's paper on 'The Milky Way' in relation to the recipient's father's letter), Cha[rle]s B[rodrick] Scott, Freshwater Gate, Isle of Wight, 1862 (admission to [Westminster School]), W[illiam] Spurrell, Carmarthen, 1889 (requesting printer's copy), J. Ceiriog Hughes, Caersws, 1872 (Welsh dialect words), Ev[an] Evans, Dinas Mowddwy, 1868 (a meeting of the Commissioners of Land and Assessed Taxes for the division of Mowddwy), John Davies, Walsoken Rectory, near Wisbeach, 1868 (subscribing to the recipient's proposed Welsh dictionary), [Edward James Herbert, 3rd earl of] Powis, Powis Castle, 68 (the authorship of the 'Epigram Ap-pollo'), [Joseph Hughes] 'Carn Ingli', Meltham Parsonage, 1853 (information from Lady Hall about the election to a post), [John Williams] 'Ab Ithel', Middleton, Manchester, 1856 (an invitation to the recipient to act as local secretary to the Cambrian Institute), Ellis Owen, Cefnymeusydd, 1855 (the writer's correspondence with Mr Madocks's daughter, Mrs [Eliza Anne] Roche, the importance of publishing the works of 'I[euan] B[rydydd] Hir', surviving manuscripts of Welsh poetry at Plas Hen [Pwllheli] and Glasfryn [Chwilog], unfavourable observations on the antiquarian interests of Owen Williams of Waunfawr, the success of the [Eifionydd Literary] Society), C. Mahony, Queen's College, Galway  (advice on Irish grammars and dictionaries), V. Pistrucci, King's College, London, 1853 (advice on Italian grammars), Th[omas] De Vere Coneys, Ballinasloe, Galway, 1847 (advice on Irish grammars), A. Heimaan, London, 1849 (advice on German grammars), [Ebenezer Thomas] 'E[ben] Vardd', Clynnog, 1861 (thanks for a gift of the recipient's Llythyraeth yr Iaith Gymraeg, with the writer's observations on the subject), Adolphus Bernays, Harrow Road, 53 (advice on [German] grammars), John Jenkins ('Ifor Ceri'), Kerry to Walter Davies ('Gwallter Mechain'), Manafon, 1826 (the Ossian controversy, personal), Henry T[homas] Edwards, [vicar of] Carnarvon, 1870 (thanks for a letter), R[owland] Williams, Meifod, undated (enclosing poetry for publication in Y Gwyliedydd), R. Richards, Penrhoslligwy, Amlwch, 1877 (parentage and pedigree of the Morris brothers of Anglesey), Evan Evans ('Ieuan Glan Geirionydd'), Parsonage, Ince, 1843 (subscribing to the recipient's 'intended work' [Blodau Ieuainc]), Morris Davies, Upper Bangor, 1869 (the writer's article on Edmund Prys, enclosing dictionary words and additions to Llyfryddiaeth [y Cymry], Tho[ma]s Edwards ('Caervallwch'), London, 1843-6 (2) (the recipient's Blodau Ieuainc), William Rees, Llandovery, 1842 (Lady Charlotte Guest's reply to the recipient's objection about the English translation of 'dyniewid', a request for the return of the 'Notes' for the publication of Part V), R. G. Latham, New Malden, Kingston-on-Thames, 64 (accepting the accuracy of the recipient's remark), Rowland Williams, Salisbury, 64 (a subscription to the recipient's school), John O'Donovan, Dublin, 1852 (advice on Irish grammars), Tho[mas] Holland, Sheffield, 1863 (the legend of S[t] Collen), O[wen] Connellan [of Cork], from Dublin, 1852 (advice on Irish grammars and dictionaries), and [Thomas James ('Llallawg'),] Netherthong, ?1875 (dictionary words) (incomplete); a few miscellaneous manuscript items, among them being 'Cynwysiad Gramadeg y Dr Gruffydd Roberts' in the hand of John Jones ('Tegid'), 1848, a holograph 'hir a thoddaid' to Walter Davies ('Gwallter Mechain') by Dr Carl Meyer, verses entitled 'Castell Conwy' by Edward Evan Jones ('Glasvryn'), a list of 'Geiriau Taleithiol' in the hand of Benjamin Williams ('Gwynionydd'), a fragment on Welsh metrics in the hand of Edward Williams ('Iolo Morganwg'), 'Englynion i Clebryn' by Robert Parry ('Robyn Ddu Eryri'), verses entitled 'The Bard's Return' ('Translated by Lady Charlotte Guest'), etc.; printed matter, including an appeal for subscriptions towards the repair of Llanymawddwy Church, c. 1862, University College of Wales (Aberystwyth) examination questions in Welsh, 1875 and undated, a broadside and leaflet appealing for subscriptions towards the defence of [Joshua] Evans, vicar of Llanover, 1875, and numerous prospectuses of printed publications, e.g. D. Silvan Evans, A Dictionary of the Welsh Language, D. Silvan Evans (ed.), Casgliad o Hymnau at wasanaeth yr Eglwys, D. Silvan Evans (ed.), The Works of the Rev. Walter Davies ... (Gwallter Mechain), Morris Williams ['Nicander'], Hermes Cambrenses: or an Etymological Welsh-English Dictionary, Ysten Sioned (1882), D. Silvan Evans, Telynegion, Rhys Jones, Gorchestion Beirdd Cymru (1773), D. Silvan Evans, Blodau Ieuainc (Early Blossoms), Y Brython (Tremadog), etc.; copious press cuttings, including articles and reviews by, and reviews of works by, D. Silvan Evans, letters published by D. Silvan Evans in Yr Arweinydd and Y Gwron in 1858 concerning his controversy with Thomas Gee over the publication of his Welsh-English Dictionary, an air and verses entitled 'Marwolaeth fy mrawd' by Daniel Thomas Williams ('Tydfylyn'), 'The Sagranus Stone, St Dogmaels' by Robert Williams, Rhydycroesau, and poetry by John Jones ('Tegid'), D. Silvan Evans, Edward Roberts ('Iorwerth Glan Aled'), Edward [Evan] Jones ('Glasfryn'), Llanfair Caereinion, Evan Jones ('Gwyneddon'), Walter Davies ('Gwallter Mechain'), Daniel Evans ('Daniel Ddu o Geredigion'), Robert Harries Jones ('Quellyn'), Thomas Lloyd Jones ('Gwenffrwd') Henry George Thomas, London, John B. Pedler, Liverpool, John Emlyn Jones ('Ioan Emlyn'), John Williams ('Ab Ithel'), Ellis Owen, Cefnymeusydd and many others; and a few engraved portraits and prints, including Morgan Evans, vicar of Llangynllo, Radnorshire, Thomas Charles, Bala, Christmas Evans, and a view of Denbigh, 1847. At the end of the volume there is one loose folio (numbered pp. 203-4) in an eighteenth century hand containing verses (beginning wanting) to 'y twcca' ('nis Gwn'i pwy ai ganodd ond Hugh Hughes ai scrifennodd 1760') and 'englynion' (some attributed to 'E. Rob' and R. Jones).
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Welsh, English, French.
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Title based on contents.
Preferred citation: 755C.
Virtua system control number
Subject access points
- Welsh language -- Dictionaries.
- French language -- Grammar.
- English language -- Etymology.
- French language.
- Italian language -- Grammar.
- English poetry -- Middle English, 1100-1500 -- Translations into French.
- English language -- Dictionaries -- Irish.
- Welsh language -- Dialects.
- Irish language -- Grammar.
- Irish language -- Dictionaries.
- German language -- Grammar.
- Welsh poetry -- Translations into English
- Scotland -- Folklore.
- Ireland -- Folklore.
- St. Dogmaels (Wales) -- Antiquities -- Poetry
- Denbigh (Wales)
- Welsh poetry -- To 1100 -- Translations into English
Place access points
Name access points
- Commissioners of Land and Assessed Taxes. Mawddwy Division. (Subject)
- Cymdeithas Lenyddol Eifionydd. (Subject)
- Conwy Castle (Conwy, Wales) -- Poetry. (Subject)
- St Tydecho (Church : Llanymawddwy, Wales) (Subject)
- University of Wales, Aberystwyth -- Examinations. (Subject)
- Plas Hen Estate (Wales) (Subject)
- Glasfryn Estate (Wales) (Subject)
- Skene, W. F. (William Forbes), 1809-1892. (Subject)
- Chaucer, Geoffrey, d. 1400 Canterbury tales -- Translations into French. (Subject)
- Owen, Aneurin, 1792-1851. (Subject)
- Aneirin Gododdin -- Translations into English. (Subject)
- Evans, Evan, 1731-1788. (Subject)
- Williams, O. (Owen), 1790-1874. (Subject)
- Collen, Saint, fl. 600? (Subject)
- Guest, Charlotte, Lady, 1812-1895 (Subject)
- Gee, Thomas, 1815-1898. (Subject)
- Evans, Morgan, 1777?-1843. (Subject)
- Evans, Christmas, 1766-1838. (Subject)
- Briscoe, Thomas. (Subject)
- Wynne, William Watkin Edward, 1801-1880. (Subject)
- Sotheby, William, 1757-1833. (Subject)
- Burgess, Thomas, 1756-1837. (Subject)
- Thirlwall, Connop, 1797-1875. (Subject)
- Price, Thomas, 1787-1848. (Subject)
- Pughe, W. Owen (William Owen), 1759-1835. (Subject)
- Brasseur, Isidore. (Subject)
- Edwards, Thomas, 1779-1858. (Subject)
- Meyer, Charles. (Subject)
- Traherne, John Montgomery, 1788-1860. (Subject)
- Sattler, Ernst. (Subject)
- Gaidoz, Henri, 1842-1932. (Subject)
- Jones, John, 1792-1852. (Subject)
- Powel, Thomas, 1845-1922. (Subject)
- Evans, J. Henry Silvan. (Subject)
- Scott, Charles Brodrick 1825-1894. (Subject)
- Spurrell, William, 1813-1889. (Subject)
- Powis, Edward James Herbert, Earl of, 1818-1891. (Subject)
- Williams, John, 1811-1862. (Subject)
- Owen, Ellis, 1789-1868. (Subject)
- Coneys, Thomas DeVere. (Subject)
- Eben Fardd, 1802-1863. (Subject)
- Bernays, Adolphus. (Subject)
- Jenkins, John, 1770-1829. (Subject)
- Ieuan Glan Geirionydd, 1795-1855. (Subject)
- Davies, Morris, 1796-1876. (Subject)
- Jones, John, 1792-1852. (Subject)
- Latham, R. G. (Robert Gordon), 1812-1888. (Subject)
- Robyn Ddu Eryri, 1804-1892. (Subject)
- Jones, Edward Evan, Glasfryn. (Subject)
- Gwynionydd, 1821-1891. (Subject)
- Guest, Charlotte, Lady, 1812-1895 (Subject)
- Williams, D. T. (Daniel Thomas), Tydfylyn, 1820-1876. (Subject)
- Williams, Robert, 1810-1881. (Subject)
- Hughes, Hugh, 1693-1776. (Subject)
- Morris family, Anglesey. (Subject)
- Davies, Walter, 1761-1849 -- Poetry (Subject)
- James, Thomas, 1817-1879 (Subject)
- Iolo Morganwg, 1747-1826 (Subject)
- Jones, Rhys, 1713-1801 (Subject)
- Tregelles, Samuel Prideaux, 1813-1875 (Subject)
- Williams, Morris, 1809-1874 (Subject)
- Evans, D. Silvan (Daniel Silvan), 1818-1903 -- Correspondence (Subject)
- Hughes, Joseph, 1803-1863 (Subject)
- Hughes, John Ceiriog, 1832-1887 (Subject)
- Charles, Thomas, 1755-1814 (Subject)
- Caledfryn, 1801-1869 (Subject)
- Davies, Walter, 1761-1849 (Subject)